Seeking Avocet/Huntsville Micro HMI-200 materials

msg

Nov 12, 2006, 12:55:06 PM11/12/06
Greetings:

Found at a local dump: Huntsville Micro HMI-200-8096 -- Intel 8096
ICE with DIP pod and probes, no software or documentation.

Avocet's website is devoid of operating documentation and
ftp.hmi.com/ftp.avocet.com now rejects anonymous logins.

Any old books, pdfs, old DOS/Win16 Sourcegate s/w, etc. would
help a lot!

Thanks,

Michael
msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org

msg

Nov 13, 2006, 11:05:39 AM11/13/06
msg wrote:

> Found at a local dump: Huntsville Micro HMI-200-8096 -- Intel 8096
> ICE with DIP pod and probes, no software or documentation.
>
> Avocet's website is devoid of operating documentation and
> ftp.hmi.com/ftp.avocet.com now rejects anonymous logins.
>
> Any old books, pdfs, old DOS/Win16 Sourcegate s/w, etc. would
> help a lot!

Materials from _any_ HMI-200 system would help, not just the
8096 version.

Regards,

msg

Nov 15, 2006, 3:18:04 PM11/15/06
I'd like to keep this thread alive for awhile in case
an occasional reader happens to notice and has some
of the old materials...

Seeking any documentation or software for the Huntsville
Microsystems, now Avocet HMI-200 series In-circuit
Emulators.

We have the model HMI-200-8096 and may find other
versions soon and would like to demonstrate them
for historical interest.

All help is much appreciated.

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum

CBFalconer

Nov 15, 2006, 4:33:29 PM11/15/06
msg wrote:

> I'd like to keep this thread alive for awhile in case
> an occasional reader happens to notice and has some
> of the old materials...
>
> Seeking any documentation or software for the Huntsville
> Microsystems, now Avocet HMI-200 series In-circuit
> Emulators.
>
> We have the model HMI-200-8096 and may find other
> versions soon and would like to demonstrate them
> for historical interest.

Try alt.folklore.computers

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Richard Pennington

Nov 15, 2006, 9:25:59 PM11/15/06

OK. You finally provoked me to go into the basement and look around.
I have an HMI-200 for the 6809 and the original documentation copyright
1988.

The fact that I still have it might make it clear that It would be hard
for me to give it up, though. ;-)

-Rich

msg

Nov 16, 2006, 10:58:52 AM11/16/06
<snip>

>> We have the model HMI-200-8096 and may find other
>> versions soon and would like to demonstrate them
>> for historical interest.

<snip>

Richard Pennington wrote:

> OK. You finally provoked me to go into the basement and look around.
> I have an HMI-200 for the 6809 and the original documentation copyright
> 1988.
>
> The fact that I still have it might make it clear that It would be hard
> for me to give it up, though. ;-)

Thanks for looking! Could you be convinced to scan the most useful
part of the manual(s) -- e.g. dip switch settings, full description
of the command set, signal specs at the pod, etc.? Do you have
some version of Sourcegate for any o/s or any other s/w targeted
to this beast?

Regards,

Michael

tonykara

Dec 16, 2014, 9:37:30 PM12/16/14
Do you still need it?

---------------------------------------

a...@bitsavers.org

Dec 31, 2014, 2:08:49 PM12/31/14
On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:37:30 PM UTC-8, tonykara wrote:

> Do you still need it?
>

> ---------------------------------------
> Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

My reply seems to have been eaten from EmbeddedReleated.com
I have a 6809 and 68000 unit and would be interested in everything
you might have on the HMI-200 units.

Al Kossow

Jan 16, 2015, 9:54:46 AM1/16/15
I just picked up a second 6809 unit on eBay this week, which increased my level of interest
in getting the documentation for it.

I was able to locate a manual for my 68000 HMI-200, which I've scanned and uploaded to
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/hmi/

Tony Karavidas

Mar 17, 2021, 1:35:58 AM3/17/21
Trying to find anyone who has sourcegate (dos or windows) for the 68000, and other HMI-200 emulators. I have the Z80 and would be willing to maintain a place to share this stuff.

David Brown

Mar 17, 2021, 4:02:56 AM3/17/21
If you are going to use Google's broken interface to Usenet, please
quote the original post correctly (with attributions). And please look
at dates before replying - it is usually pointless to reply to ancient
posts, and is better if you start a new thread.

Remember, Usenet is not google - /real/ Usenet is more like a
combination of a chat group and email. Usenet users might have posts
going back a few months conveniently on hand, but we need context quoted
in the posts. No one is going to bother looking up old archives without
good reason, and no one can read your mind to know what you are thinking
about.

There is relatively low posting rates in this group, but there are many
experienced people who pop up for interesting discussions and are happy
to help. If you want to join in, I strongly recommend you get a proper
newsreader client and a proper news server (Thunderbird and
news.eternal-september.org are a good and free combination that many
use). It makes Usenet a much nicer place both for you and for others.
Posting with google groups is a lot harder and less efficient to do
properly.

Tony Karavidas

Mar 17, 2021, 8:31:56 PM3/17/21
I don't understand what you point is about using "Google's broken interface to Usenet." I wrote something and it appeared here. What exactly is wrong with that?

Don Y

Mar 18, 2021, 12:40:24 PM3/18/21
<http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/HuntsvilleMicrosystems/HMI-200/Sourcegate_1.43_68000.zip>

You may wish to offer what you have to AEK to add it to his archive,
by way of a "Thank You"...

David Brown

Mar 18, 2021, 12:40:37 PM3/18/21
It appeared here - in the comp.arch.embedded Usenet group - but your
three posts are meaningless to anyone who reads them here. And they are
meaningless to the people who originally asked the questions, because
those were 15 to 20 years ago.

Google's groups interface is fine for searching archives - that's
google's speciality. But it is poor as an active client for actual
Usenet - which is /not/ a google website. Some people do manage to use
it properly, but it takes more effort and is less efficient than using a
newsreader program. Amongst its flaws include an inability to follow
standard Usenet conventions (which can be overcome with enough effort by
the user), inability to handle formatted text (like code snippets)
correctly, inability to handle some group names correctly,
inappropriately blocking groups, making life easier for spammers, and
encouraging necroposting. And of course, being a web interface it is a
lot slower and less efficient to use, and threads get dragged out in
time because many google groups users only log in occasionally.

It is good for searching, good for people who can't (or won't) install
dedicated software on their computers, and good for an occasional visit
to a group that you would not normally follow.

You don't /have/ to use proper Usenet software for accessing Usenet -
it's just advice, to make Usenet more useful for you.

But you /do/ have to follow Usenet standards, and you have to stop
necroposting - assuming, of course, you want to help people, get help,
or engage in discussions. If you want people to think you are just yet
another google spammer and ignore you, then your current posts are fine.

Hopefully that is enough information so that you can see the problem
with your three posts. And hopefully you'll find /recent/ posts and
threads that are of interest here, and can join in or make your own threads.

Tony Karavidas

Mar 22, 2021, 9:56:32 PM3/22/21
Thanks Don. I did reach out to AEK. We'll see if he wants it.

Don Y

Mar 22, 2021, 11:25:09 PM3/22/21
Great! I hope it works out for you!

It's nice that someone is stashing all of this "old technology/documentation".

I've a bunch of stuff to bundle up and send along to him, as well...

Jonathan Levine

Nov 9, 2023, 5:40:00 PM11/9/23
Hoping to revive a thread that's kind of long in the tooth, but what the hell...

I'm one of the guys who manages the Data I/O group over at groups.io , and a
couple of years ago I started a logic analyzer group there - all makes welcome,
as well as other related embedded development stuff like emulators. Turns out
that gathering pieces and info on these things is *way* harder than with the
device programmers, for a number of reasons.

I've been searching around a little for HMI stuff, both for the archive and myself,
as I have one of their HC11 HM-200s. There's not a lot at bitsavers, though it was
interesting to compare the photos of the 68K system with the stack in my machine.

I'd be curious whether you ever got anywhere with AEK wrt archiving any software
and docs you have. I know he's pretty oversubscribed as far as that work goes, so
to that end I'm now setting up a couple of high-throughput (sheet feed duplex)
scanners in my lab. Results, of course, will be shared about including with Al.

Anyway, I'd welcome any of you (who haven't already) to join us over there.

Jonathan