Re: Are there any ST 32F417 / Cube IDE / STLINK / C developers on here?

Michael Kellett

Apr 22, 2021, 5:03:20 AMApr 22
On 22/04/2021 07:22, John-Smith wrote:
> I am working on a project and need a bit of help here and there.
>
> I am working on it with someone who knows a lot more than I do but he
> is available only 1 day a week, so instead of posting questions on
> various forums (mostly never answered) I am considering looking for
> someone who can work on a retainer of X per year or something like
> that and would be able to provide support.
>
> It ranges from CPU specific stuff like how to set up one of the DACs
> to generate a sinewave from precomputed values in RAM (yes lots of
> examples on the web; mostly not usable except for hints) to C
> questions. I have written a fair bit of C but use it as a "basic"
> language, avoiding pointers and using arrays instead :) etc. And right
> now I am trying to sort out STLINK V3 and why the GDB log level (shown
> in Console) has mysteriously changed from 31 to 1...

You can pm me if you like on mkATmkescdotcodotuk and we can talk about it.

MK

Mike Perkins

Apr 28, 2021, 10:52:07 AMApr 28
This is near second nature though the ST Cube hal libraries try to be
all things for all men and so have a number of flaws.

Nothing wrong with arrays!

If you still want help please feel free to use the contact form on the
website below.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Ed Lee

Apr 28, 2021, 11:08:25 AMApr 28
On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 7:52:07 AM UTC-7, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 22/04/2021 07:22, John-Smith wrote:
> > I am working on a project and need a bit of help here and there.
> >
> > I am working on it with someone who knows a lot more than I do but he
> > is available only 1 day a week, so instead of posting questions on
> > various forums (mostly never answered) I am considering looking for
> > someone who can work on a retainer of X per year or something like
> > that and would be able to provide support.
> >
> > It ranges from CPU specific stuff like how to set up one of the DACs
> > to generate a sinewave from precomputed values in RAM (yes lots of
> > examples on the web; mostly not usable except for hints) to C
> > questions. I have written a fair bit of C but use it as a "basic"
> > language, avoiding pointers and using arrays instead :) etc. And right
> > now I am trying to sort out STLINK V3 and why the GDB log level (shown
> > in Console) has mysteriously changed from 31 to 1...
> This is near second nature though the ST Cube hal libraries try to be
> all things for all men and so have a number of flaws.
>
> Nothing wrong with arrays!

Nothing wrong with pointers either.

ADC1->XXX, USART1->XXX and GPIOA->XXX are all pointers. How can you avoid pointers?

Richard Damon

Apr 28, 2021, 7:38:50 PMApr 28
Not only are they pointers, but they are compile time constant value
pointers so the compiler can convert the accesses to direct memory
references.

Mike Perkins

Apr 28, 2021, 8:31:43 PMApr 28
I'm not saying you can't. The STM32Cube suite removes some of the need
to understand pointers as everything is done through libraries. A good
example is GPIO access:
HAL_GPIO_WritePin(Port, Pin, value);

The HAL libraries are weak in some areas. By example it won't natively
implement a fast SPI slave.

boB

Apr 29, 2021, 2:26:48 AMApr 29
On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 01:31:40 +0100, Mike Perkins <sp...@spam.com>
wrote:
I let Cube do the original initialization from the graphical interface
but after that, it's all plain old C. I prefer to understand the
processor and maybe make the firmware run as fast as possible.

I'm not that great of a C programmer.

boB

boB

Apr 29, 2021, 2:28:17 AMApr 29
On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 01:31:40 +0100, Mike Perkins <sp...@spam.com>
wrote:

Also, the ADC with DMA does a pretty good job of sequencing the
outputs.