PIC A/D question

Charles Jean

Aug 4, 2004, 4:51:31 PM8/4/04
I'm getting ready to start a project which will involve a 16F877 doing
data capture/logging using the AD converter. I plan on a 5V PS and a
2.5 volt reference for the AD. The voltages I'm trying to measure
will be low-I'm guessing around 1 V or less, but could be quite
variable. My question is, what happens if the applied voltage to an
AD input is greater than the reference? Is it possible to blow up the
PIC? I don't care if it pegs it out from an operational standpoint,
just don't want to lose the PIC. How about greater than the supply
voltage? Is there a way (zener diode?) to clamp the voltage prior to
PIC damage without distorting measurable voltages?
Thanks