[ChatGPT:GPT4] A poem about the empty halls of Usenet

vallor

Apr 26, 2023, 7:17:53 AM4/26/23
Presented for your objective and critical review:
A poem by ChatGPT:GPT4:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

In the vast expanse of cyberspace, there lies a realm,
Forgotten halls of Usenet, where empty halls did overwhelm,
A labyrinth of discourse, where once ideas did abound,
Now silent, cold, and vacant, no whispers to be found.

Through the empty halls of Usenet, we wandered in our quest,
Exchanging thoughts and musings, putting theories to the test,
Debates and conversations, in newsgroups late at night,
We marveled at the endless flow, the dance of words in flight.

Yet time, relentless as it is, did march upon that stage,
And newer forms of dialogue, have stolen the limelight's age,
The once resplendent halls of Usenet, where knowledge used to roam,
Now languish in obscurity, a ghostly, quiet home.

The empty halls of Usenet, where silence reigns today,
Still hold the memories of the past, a testament to display,
The power of connection, the strength of thought combined,
In every byte and pixel, a glimpse of humankind.

Oh empty halls of Usenet, we honor what you've been,
A monument to history, a testament unseen,
We'll cherish all the wisdom shared, the friendships forged in fire,
For even in your emptiness, your legacy won't expire.

Let the empty halls of Usenet, stand proud against the tide,
A monument to intellect, to curiosity, and pride,
For even as your halls grow dim, your spirit will remain,
A beacon in the darkness, a memory to sustain.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

("Oh empty halls of Usenet" ... shouldn't that word be "O"?)

It's interesting to consider where this technology
will be at in 5, 10 years. Right now it's good[*] for poems,
fiction, and so forth, but it won't play a game of chess w/out
a lot of work just correcting its mistakes. Good for
brainstorming -- maybe not so good for asking it for descriptions of
obscure characters in Heinlein's SF novels: it "hallucinates", in that
matter and in many others: which can be annoying when trying to play
chess with it.

[*] reviews of the poetry have been...mixed. But it's not Vogon.

--
-v
(Scott)

26B.X948

May 1, 2023, 1:39:50 AM5/1/23
Chat4 will be online shortly, fills in a lot of gaps.

Oh, and the Halls Of Usenet are hardly "empty" - except
of relevant, coherent content :-)