Annual Minsky Loebner Prize Revocation Prize 1995 Announcement

Marvin Minsky

Mar 2, 1995, 8:35:19 PM3/2/95
to minsky
In article <3j56jv$o...@hopper.acm.org> loe...@ACM.ORG writes:
> LOEBNER PRIZE COMPETITION IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
> ANNOUNCEMENT OF, AND APPLICATION INFORMATION FOR,
> THE 1995 PRIZE COMPETITION

And, after many screensfull of boring stuff, he adds:

>17. The names "Loebner Prize" and "Loebner Prize Competition" may be used by
>contestants in advertising only by advance written permissionof the Cambridge
>Center, and their use may be subjecttoapplicableicensingfees. Advertising is
>subjecttoapprovalbyrepresentativesoftheLoebner Prize Competition. Improper or
>misleading advertising may result in revocationoftheprizeand/or other actions.

[Some words concatenated to enforce the 80-character line length
convention.]

I do hope that someone will volunteer to violate this proscription so
that Mr. Loebner will indeed revoke his stupid prize, save himself
some money, and spare us the horror of this obnoxious and unproductive
annual publicity campaign.

In fact, I hereby offer the $100.00 Minsky prize to the first person
who gets Loebner to do this. I will explain the details of the rules
for the new prize as soon as it is awarded, except that, in the
meantime, anyone is free to use the name "Minsky Loebner Prize
Revocation Prize" in any advertising they like, without any licensing
fee.

Jorn Barger

Mar 3, 1995, 10:15:35 PM3/3/95
Marvin Minsky <min...@media.mit.edu> wrote:

> [...] and spare us the horror of this obnoxious and unproductive
>annual publicity campaign.

Hmmm... don't I remember someone saying something similar once,
about... what was it... Perceptrons?

Kenneth Colby

Mar 8, 1995, 7:04:27 PM3/8/95
min...@media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:

>I do hope that someone will volunteer to violate this proscription so
>that Mr. Loebner will indeed revoke his stupid prize, save himself
>some money, and spare us the horror of this obnoxious and unproductive
>annual publicity campaign.

>In fact, I hereby offer the $100.00 Minsky prize to the first person
>who gets Loebner to do this. I will explain the details of the rules
>for the new prize as soon as it is awarded, except that, in the
>meantime, anyone is free to use the name "Minsky Loebner Prize
>Revocation Prize" in any advertising they like, without any licensing
>fee.

We claim the Minsky Prize. A couple of years ago we entered a
program that tied for first but was awarded second on a tie-break.
We have sold a number of copies of this program and not given
any of the proceeds to Loebner.

Hence we claim the Minsky Prize of $100 but only on the condition
that the money be given to Loebner who seems short of funds at
the moment.
Peter and Ken Colby