operations research vs AI

sa...@dlsu.edu.ph

Jan 4, 1995, 12:48:34 AM1/4/95
Can anyone fill us in on artificial intelligence and operations
research? We are doing a thesis on optimal searching and we encountered a
problem in classifying the theories we are using. The books we consulted seem
not to be very clear on the distinctions between artificial intelligence
(heuristic search, particularly the algorithms that include the concepts of
dynamic programming) and dynamic programming itself. Is dynamic programming a
subset of operations research? Who is the subset of who and who is the
predecessor of whom? If possible, please present the answer in the form of a
tree with accompanying explanations on the distinctions.

Thank you very much for your attention.

COMRADE '94

Drew McDermott

Jan 9, 1995, 11:17:40 AM1/9/95

There is no difference between OR techniques and AI techniques because the two
fields are not defined by technique; each will use any technique that works. They
are two different domains. OR studies problems that arise in decision making for
efficient management of resources. AI studies mechanisms for control of behavior
in complex environments, which can sometimes even mean intelligent behavior.
The two fields overlap to the extent that intelligence is required for
management.

-- Drew McDermott