Talk by Niels Taatgen: The Skill-based Method of Modeling Human Intelligent Behavior (2023-03-15)

Tristan Miller

Mar 7, 2023, 5:05:29 AM3/7/23
Humans are capable of performing many novel tasks with little or no
instruction, contrary to machines. A possible solution -- modelling a
set of cognitive skills that can be recombined to carry out tasks -- is
the topic of "The Skill-based Method of Modeling Human Intelligent
Behavior", a talk by Niels Taatgen of the University of Groningen. The
talk is part of the 2023 Winter/Spring Lecture Series of the Austrian
Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence (OFAI).

Members of the public are cordially invited to attend the talk via Zoom
on Wednesday, 15 March at 18:30 CET (UTC+1):

Meeting ID: 842 8244 2460
Passcode: 678868

Talk abstract: Humans are capable of performing many novel tasks with
little or no instruction, contrary to machines. Unfortunately, research
in cognitive science and psychology pays very little attention to this.
Because of this, many cognitive models focus on exhaustively explaining
data from single experiments, but ignore the question where that
knowledge originates from, and how it can be reused in other contexts. A
possible solution is to assume people have a set of cognitive skills
that they can recombine to carry out tasks. The idea is analogous to the
idea that words in a language can be combined in many different ways to
create new meaning. I will demonstrate this idea using the PRIMs
cognitive architecture, which is derived from the ACT-R architecture,
for example with the Attentional Blink task. The model of that task only
consists of skills taken from models of other tasks.

Speaker biography: Niels A. Taatgen is a professor of artificial
intelligence at the University of Groningen. He holds degrees in
computer science and psychology, and has published in the areas of
psychology and cognitive science. Until recently, he worked as a
research psychologist at Carnegie Mellon University, collaborating with
John Anderson and others on the ACT-R cognitive architecture project.

--
Dr.-Ing. Tristan Miller, Research Scientist
Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence (OFAI)

Tristan Miller

Apr 17, 2023, 10:05:24 AM4/17/23
Greetings.

On 07/03/2023 11.05, Tristan Miller wrote:
> Humans are capable of performing many novel tasks with little or no
> instruction, contrary to machines. A possible solution -- modelling a
> set of cognitive skills that can be recombined to carry out tasks -- is
> the topic of "The Skill-based Method of Modeling Human Intelligent
> Behavior", a talk by Niels Taatgen of the University of Groningen. The
> talk is part of the 2023 Winter/Spring Lecture Series of the Austrian
> Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence (OFAI).
>
> Members of the public are cordially invited to attend the talk via Zoom
> on Wednesday, 15 March at 18:30 CET (UTC+1)

A video recording of the talk (which ended up with a different title) is
now available on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Q_tIsHy61KU

Regards,
Tristan