VISION-LIST digest 27.3 - [1/2]

Vislist Moderator

Mar 26, 2008, 10:24:30 PM3/26/08
VISION-LIST Digest Wed Mar 26 19:23:07 PST 2008 Volume 27 : Issue 3

- ***** The Vision List host is VISLIST.COM *****
- Send submissions to submi...@vislist.com
('VLS' MUST APPEAR IN THE SUBJECT or your submission will not be processed)
- Vision List Digest and Archives available at http://WWW.VISLIST.COM
- If you don't have access to a web browser, you can read the
Vislist from the newsgroup comp.ai.vision or send email to
mode...@vislist.com to request mailing list membership
('VLS' MUST APPEAR IN THE SUBJECT or your submission will not be processed)
- Access Vision List Archives via anonymous ftp to ftp://FTP.VISLIST.COM
- Vision List supported by Directed Perception (http://www.DPerception.com)

Today's Topics:

Q&A : CV Package for Python Incorporating Fast Training of Face
Q&A : Registration for ImageCLEF
JOB : SE - Kingston University/Legion Ltd - UK
JOB : CV/Video Analytics Developer - Miovision Tech - Ontario, CAN
JOB : CV Scientist- UtopiaCompression, Los Angeles, CA
JOB : Postdocs - Texas A&M - Texas, USA
JOB : Postdoc - Ecole Centrale de Paris/INRIA - France
JOB : Postdoc - Institut EURECOM - Sophia Antipolis, France
JOB : Postdoc - National Univ of Singapore - Singapore
JOB : Ph.D/Postdoc positions - Univ of Waterloo - Canada
JOB : Postdoctoral Fellowship - Univ of Copenhagen - DEN
JOB : Post Doctoral Fellowship - Columbia Univ - New York, NY
JOB : Postdoctoral Position - Univ of Penn - PA, USA
JOB : Postdoctoral Fellowship - GE Healthcare - Ontaio, CAN
JOB : PhD Studentship - Institut EURECOM - Sophia Antipolis, France
JOB : PhD studentships - Monash Univ - Victoria, AUS
JOB : Studentship - Manchester Metro Univ - UK
JOB : PhD positions - Max-Planck Institute - Saarbruecken, Germany
JOB : Internships - Siemens Corporate Research - NJ, USA
JOB : Intern - Intuitive Surgical - Sunnyvale CA
CFP : IEEE PAMI Issue on Probabilistic Graphical Models - 16AUG2008
CFP : IEEE Conf on Biometrics - Wash DC - 16MAY2008
CFP : Special CVIU on Multimedia Retrieval Evaluation - 30APR2008
CFP : Int Symp on Visual Computing - Las Vegas - 01DEC2008
CFP : Competition in Coronary tracking segmentation - NY - 01JUN2008

From: "Pham Minh Tri" <MTP...@ntu.edu.sg>
Subject: Q&A : CV Package for Python Incorporating Fast Training of Face

Dear VisList community,

I am Minh-Tri Pham, a Ph.D. student and a Researcher in Nanyang
Technological University, Singapore. My research work in the area of
Face Detection. Today, it is my honour to announce the release of my
research work as a Python package called PyCV.

Yours sincerely, Minh Tri

PyCV - A Computer Vision Package for Python incorporating Fast Training
of Face Detection

Project website: http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home5/pham0004/pycv/

PyCV is a package of C++ and Python modules implementing various
algorithms that are useful in computer vision, and augments the
capabilities of OpenCV. In particular, PyCV provides implementations
for:

* Fast training and selection of Haar-like features for a weak
classifier. This is currently the world's fastest method for training
a face detector. It runs in just a few hours, while most existing
methods run in days or weeks. This is based on [1].
* Asymmetric Online Boosting: a variant of AdaBoost that learns incrementally
using an asymmetric goal as the learning criterion. This is based on [2].

Additionally, PyCV contains many useful modules for computer vision and
machine learning, specially boosting techniques, Haar-like features, and
face detection.

The package is primarily developed by Minh-Tri Pham, as part of his PhD
research on face detection. This research is being carried out in the
Centre for Multimedia & Network Technology (CeMNet), School of Computer
Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.

Founding Contributors:
* Minh-Tri Pham - Primary author
* Viet-Dung D. Hoang - Contributing author
* Tat-Jen Cham - Supervising faculty

[ Details omitted for brevity. Please see website for details. pk...]

------------------------------

From: henning...@sim.hcuge.ch
Subject: Q&A : Registration for ImageCLEF

The registration for ImageCLEF, a benchmark on visual information
retrieval is now open. You can find all the informations on the CLEF web
pages at http://www.clef-campaign.org/ .

Everything on the visual retrieval tasks can also be found at
http://www.imageclef.org/ . We will have several exciting tasks and new
databases this year, among them a new medical retrieval database
containing 67'000 images from the medical literature to be indexed.

Kind regards, Henning

------------------------------

From: Dimitrios Makris <d.ma...@kingston.ac.uk>
Subject: JOB : SE - Kingston University/Legion Ltd - UK

Software Engineer – KTP Associate
Location: Albert Embankment, London

2 year appointment plus sponsored PG degree

Salary circa £25,000 p.a. plus training budget

Accelerate your career! This is an exciting opportunity for a recent
Computer Science graduate to work in the cutting-edge computer vision
industry. Legion is a dynamic and innovative company who design,
manufacture and market pedestrian simulation software. The project will
focus on the development of tools to analyse video-footage and track
pedestrians.

The selected applicant will benefit from a generous training package, university
and company support and supervision, the opportunity to enrol for a fully-sponsored
postgraduate degree (MSc, PhD), where appropriate, and the potential to develop
an academic research profile and/or a permanent position with the company.
You will also gain experience in:
The development of video analysis software
Working with blue chip clients
Professional software development methodologies
Operating in a business-to-business environment
Project management and negotiation skills
Improved presentation and meeting skills
A high level of continuing professional development

This Knowledge Transfer Partnership between Legion and Kingston
University will employ a graduate to work on a high profile project.

We are looking for exceptional graduates, including mature students,
with:
* BSc (at least 2:1) or PG degree in Computer Science or a closely related
discipline. Experience in image processing/computer vision would be
desirable
* strong object-oriented programming skills e.g. in C++/ java mathematical
and/or statistics skills
* first-class communication and networking skills
* a high level of self-motivation and willingness to learn
* the ability to work alone and in a team
* good written, IT and presentation skills in English

Please note, applicants must be available for face-to-face interviews.
To find out more about KTP, visit http://www.ktponline.org.uk and
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/enterprise

CLOSING DATE: 14th April 2008
1st interviews: 29th April 2008

Interested? Contact: Martin Sargeant on 020 8547 8045 OR
mailto:m.sar...@kingston.ac.uk OR download an application form from
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/ktpvacancy

Please quote reference no. KTP 171 in all correspondence

A GREAT WAY TO FURTHER YOUR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

------------------------------

From: "Tony Brijpaul" <tbri...@miovision.com>
Subject: JOB : CV/Video Analytics Developer - Miovision Tech - Ontario, CAN

Do you want to help build something big? Do you want to work somewhere
exciting and fulfilling? Miovision Technologies is currently seeking
intelligent and motivated individuals to join our expanding team in
Waterloo.

Miovision has an innovative video analytics application for the traffic
industry - and we are looking for imaginative, passionate individuals to
further research and develop our state-of-the-art computer vision/video
analytics algorithms in C++. Individuals will play a leading role in
developing industry-leading analytics software for the traffic industry.
In return, we offer a dynamic and fun start-up environment based in
Waterloo, ON, competitive compensation, equity options, room for
advancement at a growing company. and the chance to be a part of
Canada's next star technology company.

We are looking for creative individuals who are enthusiastic about
computer vision and applying object tracking theory to real-world
problems in the traffic industry (e.g. traffic data collection and
analysis). They will also be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic
environment, individually or as part of a team.

Compensation:
> Salary based on previous experience and performance
> Full health benefits
> Participation in employee stock option program
> Subsidized corporate gym membership
> Access to monthly skills/career development workshops through Communitech
(Waterloo Regional Technology Association)
> Relaxed 'Start-up culture', complete with free drinks, XBOX, and bean bag
chairs.

Technical Requirements:
> Strong knowledge of computer vision algorithm design and implementation in
C++
> Mathematical background in 2D signal processing
> Experience developing in a Linux environment using Eclipse
> BASc/BS/MASc/MS/Ph.D degree or equivalent in a technical discipline
> 0-3+ years of software development experience with a focus on computer
vision

Job Requirements:
> Strong verbal and written communication skills
> Strong analytical skills
> Strong creative problem solving skills
> Ability to meet deadlines
> Desire to help build and grow a hi-tech, start up company
> Desire to own the product/project and have a noticeable impact

Experience in or desire to acquire the following skills is important:
> Project management
> Customer requirements assessment and analysis
> Algorithm design

http://www.miovision.com/company/careers.php

Please email your resume and cover letter to res...@miovision.com . We look
forward to hearing from you.

Tony Ishwar Brijpaul, BASc
Vice President, Operations
Miovision Technologies Incorporated
http://www.miovision.com/
mailto:tbri...@miovision.com
Phone: 519-513-2407 x251, Fax: 1-866-413-2928

------------------------------

From: "Hieu Nguyen" <hi...@utopiacompression.com>
Subject: JOB : CV Scientist- UtopiaCompression, Los Angeles, CA

Computer Vision R&D Scientist

Company Background

UtopiaCompression Corporation (UC) is a rapidly growing, High Tech
company with core competency in computational intelligence developing,
and marketing a range of intelligent technologies and products
including: content-based image/video and text compression; data mining
and knowledge discovery; 3D object/scene modeling; fusion and
visualization with a host of applications such as Geographic Information
Systems and medical imaging; and autonomous object avoidance and path
planning.

UC's mission is to: (i) Produce superior and innovative products with
significant commercial potential and broad economic and societal
benefits, (ii) Deliver substantial return on investments and (iii)
Create exceptional job opportunities and work environment to attract and
retain the best available talent. The vision of UC is to expand the
company into a multi-division corporation focused on high-growth, and
synergistic and interrelated intelligence-based technology areas and
markets. UC team has performed significant research and development in
artificial intelligence, machine learning, 2D/3D image
compression/modeling, intelligence-based structured text (e.g., XML,
HTML) compression and mining, object/pattern recognition, visual
knowledge discovery, 3/4D scene modeling and recognition/classification,
single and collaborative autonomous vehicle planning, and airborne
networking.

UC's compression technology was recognized as one of the top emerging
technologies by the National Institute of Standards and Technology
(NIST), and was the recipient of the prestigious ATP award. Since 2003,
UC continues to win multiple Phase I and II government contracts (from
DOD, DHS, NASA, NSF and DOE) to research and develop solutions based on
UC competencies.

JOB REQUIREMENTS

A Ph.D. in computer vision/science, robotics, electrical engineering,
mathematics/statistics, or other related areas is desired, although a
strong candidate with an M.S. and significant research and industry
experience in advanced computer vision will also be considered.
Industry experience with outstanding accomplishments is highly
preferred. US residents are strongly encouraged to apply. Competitive
compensation is offered for candidates fully meeting UC requirements.
UC offers excellent benefits which include medical, dental, vision,
stock option plan, accrued vacation time and a creative team work
environment.

The ideal candidate will be thoroughly versed in recent research and
methods in the areas of computer vision, pattern recognition, machine
learning and image and signal processing, as well as a proven
education/work track record, for most of the technical expertise
described above.

The candidate is also required to be a visionary, highly creative
problem-solver capable of proposing novel solutions to multiple problems
in parallel and of guiding R&D engineers in developing and implementing
solutions. The candidate will collaborate closely with other R&D
scientists and engineers in developing and implementing solutions
efficiently. Candidates with industry and R&D experience in one or more
industries (especially military/defense, homeland security, security &
surveillance, medical imaging, media & entertainment or wireless) are
highly desirable.

JOB DESCRIPTION

UC is actively developing highly innovative and nontraditional
technologies in the fields of computer vision, machine learning, pattern
recognition, image and signal processing. The sought after candidate
will be an integral part of the team, establishing and extending
in-depth knowledge and expertise in scientific/technical/product aspects
of the computer vision processing techniques for various projects at UC.
The ideal candidate will:
1. Perform research, design, development, testing, and prototyping of advanced
algorithms for the following:
- 3D object/scene reconstruction
- Real-time object detection and recognition algorithms (experience in maritime
environments is a plus)
- Real-time object tracking
- Image segmentation
- Real-time stereo vision
- Image registration
- Activity recognition
- Structure-from-motion (SFM)
2. Have familiarity and working experience with different visual
sensors such as infrared and electro-optical.
3. Be fluent in software analysis, design, and development using C++, C and
MATLAB programming environment. Reasonable knowledge of MMX/SSE features
of Pentium processors in SIMD programming for image processing/vision
applications is a plus.
4. Provide subject matter expertise: establishing in-depth knowledge and
suggesting directives for further progress on UC's computer vision
technologies.
5. Provide technical assistance and guidance: preparing proposals, reports,
and presentations for internal and external sources such as government
agencies and business partners.

Candidates are also strongly encouraged to include in their resumes any
experience related to unmanned vehicles, particularly those related to
sensor-based obstacle avoidance and path planning.

Contact Information
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Ms. Emily Murdock
UtopiaCompression Corporation
mailto:em...@utopiacompression.com
Tel 310-473-1500 x101
UCC website: http://www.utopiacompression.com

------------------------------

From: "Pankaj Rajan" <sach...@gmail.com>
Subject: JOB : Postdocs - Texas A&M - Texas, USA

Sketch Recognition Lab@ TAMU is currently seeking post-docs with
experience in sketch recognition, HCI, machine learning, pen-based
computing,vision and image processing ,speech recognition.Candidate
should be exposed to programing in JAVA,C++ with strong OOPS
fundamentals. As a job requirement, candidate is required to participate
in the research activities of the Lab, conduct related research and
participate in other academic activities of the Lab.

About Sketch recognition Lab:

Sketch Recognition Lab is part of Computer Science Department at Texas
A&M University -College Station, Texas USA, and is well known and
respected for its academic standards and research.It is one of the
largest universities in United States with a large student body.
Engineering School at Texas A&M is ranked among top 15 Engineering
Schools in the Nation.TexasA&M is located at close proximity to the
state capital Austin and Houston, which is one of the largest cities in
the nation.

Presently, there are 5 PhD students and a Master's student in the lab.

For more information about the Lab and research please visit:
http://srl.csdl.tamu.edu

------------------------------

From: "Nikos, Paragios" <nikos.p...@ecp.fr>
Subject: JOB : Postdoc - Ecole Centrale de Paris/INRIA - France

Ecole Centrale de Paris: http://www.ecp.fr
INRIA Saclay, Ile-de-France :
http://www.inria.fr/saclay/home/view?set_language=en
Equipe Galen: http://www.mas.ecp.fr/vision/Personnel/nikos/home.html

Topic: Multi-Modal Registration of Medical Images

RESEARCH CONTEXT:
Registration between pre-operative and Interventional data is a major
challenge and demand in a number of surgical operations In such a
context, first the operation procedure and the target are determined
through the use of high resolution appropriate imaging modalities. This
information is then used as guide for surgeons in the operation room. To
this end an alignment between the pre-operative data and the acquisition
on the fly during the surgery is required. The use of global parametric
transformations assumes that the tissue remains static that is not the
case when one has to account for tissue shift because of the cut and an
alignment that also involves a local deformation component is to be
considered.

POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH WORK DESCRIPTION:
The aim of this post-doc is to address registration between
pre-operative 3D annotated data and 2D interventional images during
surgery. In such a context, the use of discrete optimization will be
considered, where one seeks for an out of plane projection of the 2D
images to the 3D volume and an in-plane non-rigid deformation towards
addressing tissue shift. Efficient techniques from discrete optimization
will be considered to address the problem. The estimation will
decomposed into a master (plane selection) and a slave problem (in plane
deformation). In order to account for different modalities, a
kernel-based approach will be considered. Once such a metric has been
determined, the registration will be casted using a continuous
interpolation model over non-uniform control points. This is a joint
work with one of the leading university hospitals in Paris. Successful
candidates are expected to contributer with other ongoing project in the
field of medical image analysis and computer aided diagnosis.

REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND:
PhD in electrical or computer engineering, or computer science or
applied mathematics in the areas of medical imaging or computer vision
demonstrating ability to carry on research of excellent quality. Prior
work on registration, motion analysis or discrete optimization will be a
plus while good programming skills in Matlab and C++ and ability to work
in a team will be appreciated.

Duration : 12-24 months, Gross salary/month : 2500-3000€
Contact: For more information and to apply please contact Prof. Nikos
Paragios ( mailto:nikos.p...@ecp.fr ) with a resume and a list of two
potential references.

------------------------------

From: Bernard Merialdo <Bernard....@eurecom.fr>
Subject: JOB : Postdoc - Institut EURECOM - Sophia Antipolis, France

Post-doc Position in Multimedia Indexing

The Multimedia Communications Department of Institut EURECOM invites
applications for a Post-doctoral position in Multimedia indexing. The
topic of the research is the study of automatic video and multimedia
summarization. This will involve combinations of techniques for video
analysis, segmentation, classification, annotation. In particular, we
plan to combine region-based and local descriptor-based approaches
through statistical and probabilistic models. Temporal modeling will
also be studied, as will be links with other information coming from
text and audio.

The ideal candidate should hold a PhD degree in computer science or
electrical engineering with emphasis on image/video processing, computer
vision, statistical modeling, good programming skills in C or C++, and a
strong publication record.

Applicants should email a resume, letter of motivation, and all relevant
information to.
Prof. Bernard Merialdo
mailto:meri...@eurecom.fr

More information on the group activity may be found on the web site:
http://bmgroup.eurecom.fr/

Institut EURECOM ( http://www.eurecom.fr ) is a graduate school and
research center in communication systems founded in 1992 by EPFL (Swiss
Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne) and ENST (Ecole Nationale
Supérieure des Télécommunications, Paris). EURECOM's activity includes
research and graduate teaching in corporate, multimedia and mobile
communications. About 18 professors, 10 post-docs, 60 PhD and 170 MS
students currently work in EURECOM. EURECOM is involved in several
European research projects and joint collaborations with industry.
EURECOM is located in Sophia-Antipolis, a major European technology park
for telecommunications research and development in the French Riviera.

------------------------------

From: "Cheong Loong Fah" <ele...@nus.edu.sg>
Subject: JOB : Postdoc - National Univ of Singapore - Singapore

Postdoctoral Fellow Position
3D Scene Modeling and Understanding for Interactive Space Applications

A postdoctoral fellow position is available at the Department of
Electrical and Computer Engineering, National University of Singapore
(NUS). The position is to study various problems including large scale
scene reconstruction, object modeling, and object and action recognition
from video sequences. We focus on novel theoretical and algorithmic
contributions, but also the design of associated proof-of-concept
prototypes.

The successful candidate will join a project team comprising a
multi-disciplinary group of experts, working together to explore how the
physical and virtual influence each other, and laying the ground for the
emergence of new lifestyles and new forms of social organization. It is
part of a bigger drive to establish Singapore at the forefront of the
interactive media revolution worldwide and in the Asia Pacific region
and to assist in the development of creative industries and cultural
exuberance for Singapore.

The successful candidate should have a PhD or equivalent degree, and
he/she should have a strong theoretical background in the relevant areas
of Computational Vision such as structure from motion analysis, 3d scene
reconstruction, moving object detection, etc. Strong applied mathematics
and/or graphics background is a plus. Strong publications in
internationally recognized conferences or journals are required.

The position is available from January 2008 and is funded for 3 years.
Salary is competitive. Please send a resume, papers, and names of 3
references to:
Dr Cheong Loong Fah, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Faculty of Engineering, 4 Engineering Drive 3, Singapore 117576.
mailto:ele...@nus.edu.sg

We will begin reviewing applications for the position immediately.

------------------------------

From: Jonathan Kofman <jko...@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: JOB : Ph.D/Postdoc positions - Univ of Waterloo - Canada

The Intelligent Human-Machine Systems and Optomechatronics Laboratories
at the Department of Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo,
Ontario, Canada, invite highly motivated candidates to apply for
doctoral and postdoctoral positions in 3D imaging systems. (Exceptional
masters candidates with demonstrated abilities and experience may be
considered). (Doctoral positions are open for May 2008, as well as Sept
2008).

These exciting new opportunities are part of ongoing research in
real-time full-field 3D imaging systems. We are looking for candidates
with demonstrated skills in computer vision and image processing, and
C++ programming. Candidates with computer-science, engineering, and
physics backgrounds or equivalent experience are encouraged to apply.

Experience in the following areas will be an asset: 3-D computer vision,
imaging / optical systems, metrology, machine vision, fringe projection,
phase-shifting techniques

For doctoral applicants, preference may be given to those eligible to
apply for:
NSERC industrial postgraduate scholarships:
http://www.nserc.gc.ca/sf_e.asp?nav=3Dsfnav&lbi=3D2c
and
NSERC postgraduate scholarships
http://www.nserc.gc.ca/sf_e.asp?nav=3Dsfnav&lbi=3D2a

Please send a detailed curriculum vitae/resum=E9 with details of your
relevant experience, skills, and references to: Dr. Jonathan Kofman,
mailto:jko...@engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Contact Dr. J. Kofman for further details.

For an overview of research, and further information visit:
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~jkofman/index.html

More information about the University of Waterloo can be found at:
http://www.uwaterloo.ca/aboutuw/index.php

------------------------------

From: Marleen de Bruijne <mar...@diku.dk>
Subject: JOB : Postdoctoral Fellowship - Univ of Copenhagen - DEN

A postdoctoral fellowship in medical image analysis is available at
DIKU, the Department of Computer Science of University of Copenhagen,
Denmark. The fellowship is part of the project "Computer-Aided
Assessment of COPD from CT Images", a joint initiative of the University
of Copenhagen, Gentofte University Hospital in Copenhagen, and a major
pharmaceutical company. In this project we are developing new techniques
to detect, quantify, and monitor lung disease from CT scans, in
connection with the Danish lung cancer screening trial. The focus lies
on the assessment of lung emphysema which is a main component of chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD, or 'smoker's lung') and a major
cause of death and disability worldwide.

At DIKU, three faculty members are associated with the project and three
PhD students are working within the project on image segmentation, image
registration, and pattern characterization in lung CT images. The
postdoctoral researcher is expected to perform research in close
collaboration with the other project members.

Candidates should have a PhD degree in (medical) image analysis or
computer vision. The position is available from 1 August 2008 but may be
filled in earlier. Appointment will be for a one-year period with the
possibility of extension. Funding for the position is secured for two
years.

Application and enclosures must be submitted on the basis of the
complete text of the vacancy available at
http://www.diku.dk/forskning/image/vacancies/index.php#3 . Application
deadline: 31 March 2008.

------------------------------

From: "Ravi Bansal" <ban...@childpsych.columbia.edu>
Subject: JOB : Post Doctoral Fellowship - Columbia Univ - New York, NY

Position: Postdoctoral Fellowship
Location: New York, NY
Deadline: 04-15-08

A postdoctoral research fellowship in signal and image processing
techniques is available at the Columbia University, NY. The fellowship
is administered by the Department of Child Psychiatry at Columbia
University, NY. Persons interested in research experience in the area of
signal and image processing techniques applied to the study of childhood
neuropsychaitric disorders are encouraged to apply. The position is for
2 years, with a possible extension to 3 years. Pay is commensurate with
experience. This position must be filled by April 15th 2008.

Qualifications:

Candidates should have a Ph.D. degree in computer science, electrical
engineering, or biomedical engineering with emphasis on signal and
medical image processing. Strong computational and mathematical skills
are needed.

Contact:
Ravi Bansal, Ph.D.
NYSPI, Columbia University
1051 Riverside Dr., Unit 74, Room #2410, New York, NY. 10032
(W): 212-543-6145, (F): 212-543-6660
mailto:ban...@childpsych.columbia.edu

Interested candidates should send a curriculum vitae, a list of
publications, and contact information for at least three references.
Submissions by email are acceptable.

The Columbia University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.

------------------------------

From: "Shen, Dinggang" <Dingga...@uphs.upenn.edu>
Subject: JOB : Postdoctoral Position - Univ of Penn - PA, USA

A postdoctoral position in medical image analysis is available. The
successful candidate should have a strong background on Electrical or
Biomedical Engineering, or Computer Science, preferably with emphasis on
image analysis, or computer vision. Experience on medical image
registration and analysis is highly desirable. People with machine
learning background are particularly encouraged to apply.

The successful candidate will be part of a diverse group including
radiologists, psychologists, physicists, biostatistician, and computer
scientists, and will build upon the group's previous work on medical
image analysis. The research topic will be the development and
validation of 3D, 4D, and group-wise image registration methods for
brain image analysis. More information can be obtained by visiting
https://www.rad.upenn.edu/sbia/dgshen/ .

If interested, please email resume to Dr. Dinggang Shen
( mailto:Dingga...@uphs.upenn.edu ).

------------------------------

From: "Li, Shuo (GE Healthcare)" <Shu...@ge.com>
Subject: JOB : Postdoctoral Fellowship - GE Healthcare - Ontaio, CAN

Postdoctoral Fellowship-GE Healthcare/ Western/Robarts/ Lawson /LHSC
-Medical Image Analysis and Visualization

One postdoctoral fellowship is available in GE Healthcare, London, ON,
Canada.

The successful candidate will conduct cutting-edge research with leading
researchers in GE Healthcare, the University of Western Ontario
(Western), Robarts Research Institute, Lawson Health Research Institute,
and London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) in the field of medical image
analysis and visualization. They will also gain opportunities to
directly interact with radiologists for problem definition, solution
development, and validation.

Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply for a Canada NSERC
Industrial R&D Fellowships (IRDF) supported by GE Healthcare. For those
who have obtained an NSERC postdoctoral fellowship, a top up will be
given based on their qualifications.

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:

The successful candidate will be an excellent scholar having degrees (or
will have) from computer science, electrical engineering, computer
engineering, physics, medical biophysics, or an engineering discipline
with an inter-disciplinary background in some of the following areas:
image processing and visualization, computer vision, pattern
recognition. The candidate will have a proven record in research,
innovative thinking, real-world problem solving and fast prototyping.

For consideration, please send a cover letter, resume and three
representative publications to: shu...@ge.com

Please mention "GE-London-Postdoc" in the subject line.

------------------------------

From: Bernard Merialdo <Bernard....@eurecom.fr>
Subject: JOB : PhD Studentship - Institut EURECOM - Sophia Antipolis, France

PhD Studentship in Multimedia Indexing

The Multimedia Communications Department of Institut EURECOM invites
applications for a PhD studentship in Multimedia indexing. The topic of
the research is the study of automatic video and multimedia
summarization. This will involve combinations of techniques for video
analysis, segmentation, classification, annotation. In particular, we
plan to combine region-based and local descriptor-based approaches
through statistical and probabilistic models. Temporal modeling will
also be studied, as will be links with other information coming from
text and audio.

The ideal candidate should hold a Master degree in computer science or
electrical engineering with emphasis on image/video processing, computer
vision, statistical modeling, and good programming skills in C or C++.

From: Mohammed Belkhatir <Belkhatir...@infotech.monash.edu>
Subject: JOB : PhD studentships - Monash Univ - Victoria, AUS

The Centre for Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications at
Monash University is offering several PhD positions available in the
areas of Multimedia Processing, Indexing and Retrieval.

The minimum entry requirements for your reference are:
- A Bachelors Degree with Honours of minimum 2nd upper class and higher
in IT/CS/Engineering, or
- A research masters degree and
- The ability to meet the university's English language requirements

The annual scholarship for full time studies is RM52,000. The
scholarship will be reviewed at the end of each year and the continuance
to receive it will be subject to satisfactory performance.

Enquiries and applications should be e-mailed to:
mailto:belkhatir...@infotech.monash.edu

Applications should include a copy of the student's transcripts and a
curriculum vitae.

------------------------------

From: "Nicholas Costen" <n.co...@mmu.ac.uk>
Subject: JOB : Studentship - Manchester Metro Univ - UK

Applications are invited for a 3-year studentship leading to an award of
a doctorate. The programme will be run by the Department of Computing
and Mathematics and the Institute for Biomedical Research into Human
Movement and Health, Manchester Metropolitan University.

Ultrasound provides a real time view of dynamic changes of muscle
contraction during human movement. The analysis of ultrasound images to
model temporal changes in muscle strain and muscle activity is providing
key insights into motor control physiology and is emerging as a new
technology with clinical, scientific and gaming applications.

Current techniques for automatic tracking are limited in the degree of
muscle contraction with which they can deal. In addition, they analyse
single muscles, and do not describe overall body postures or movements.
Therefore, the work involves developing software to overcome these
short-comings, using advanced computer vision techniques to process the
ultrasound images of muscle activity, so that walking and postural
movements can be analysed both offline and in real time. The techniques
to be used are at the forefront of research into real time computer
vision and include appearance models of individual muscle activity,
multiple combined models describing variation between muscles, and
parallel programming on a Beowulf cluster.

Applicants should have, or would be expected to gain, a first or upper
second-class degree or MSc in computing, electronics, engineering, or a
related subject area. Experience of computer vision, C/C++ and MATLAB
programming is desirable.

The studentship will be approximately =A312,000 per annum and will also
pay all university tuition fees. Eligible students must meet EPSRC
residency requirements.

The starting date for the studentship will be September 2008. To apply,
please send an application form and full CV, together with the names of
two referees to:
Dr David Britch, Department of Computing and Mathematics
Manchester Metropolitan University, John Dalton Building
Manchester M1 5GD

For an application form and general enquiry, please phone the
Departmental Office on 0161 247 1500 and quote the reference DB.
Informal inquires should be directed to Dr Britch at
mailto:d.b...@mmu.ac.uk .

The closing date for applications is the 1st of July 2008.

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Thormaehlen <tho...@mpi-inf.mpg.de>
Subject: JOB : PhD positions - Max-Planck Institute - Saarbruecken, Germany

The Max-Planck Institute for Computer Science in Saarbruecken offers
several Research Fellowships for highly motivated prospective PhD
students. The work will be embedded into the context of both the "Max
Planck Center for Visual Computing and Communication"
( http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/mpc/ ) and the recently established Cluster of
Excellence "Multimodal Computing and Interaction"
( http://www.mmci.uni-saarland.de/ ).

The applicants should hold a degree (diploma or master) in computer
science, mathematics, physics, or engineering. We expect excellent
grades as well as strong programming skills.

In particular, we are looking for applicants who want to work in one of
the following research areas:
- Computer graphics/vision
- Statistical data analysis
- Music processing
- Parallel heterogeneous computing
- Multimodal computing

Additional information on possible research topics is available on
http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/departments/d4/phd0308 and from each of the
research group leaders.

The research groups consists of young researchers of several
nationalities. Our working language is English. The groups collaborate
with several of the major research institutions in Europe and the USA
and have a high international visibility. There is a generous travel
support available for all group members.

Applications should include the usual information such as curriculum
vitae, copies of transcripts including school certificate, and a list of
publications.

Women are encouraged to apply. The Max Planck Society is an equal
opportunity employer. Qualifications being equal, precedence will be
given to candidates with disabilities.

Applications should be sent by email, as a single PDF file, to:
mailto:bu...@mpi-inf.mpg.de

------------------------------

From: "Comaniciu, Dorin (SCR US)" <dorin.c...@siemens.com>
Subject: JOB : Internships - Siemens Corporate Research - NJ, USA

Several summer internship positions at PhD level are available in the
Integrated Data Systems Department at Siemens Corporate Research, Inc.,
Princeton, New Jersey.

Our focus is to exploit large collections of data to build robust vision
applications.

You will have the opportunity to test your computer vision and machine
learning knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You
will be encouraged to think out of the box, innovate and find solutions
to real-life problems.

The candidates should have a proven background in applied machine
learning, graphical models, pattern recognition, tracking and
information fusion, shape inference, 3D/4D segmentation, and robust
statistics.

Candidates should have C/C++ proficiency on MS Windows platform.

Siemens Corporate Research (SCR) is one of the world's premier research
labs for computer vision, medical imaging, and applied machine learning.
SCR is located in Princeton, USA, and provides a stimulating environment
for highly talented and self-motivated researchers. SCR excels in
transferring academic research into innovative products, and works in
close collaboration with clinical partners. The lab has more than 250
researchers and over 100 students involved in hundreds of University,
Clinical and Government collaborations. SCR is part of Siemens Corporate
Technology, a division comprising 2500+ research scientists in
Princeton, Berkeley, Erlangen, Munich, Berlin, Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai,
Bangalore, St. Petersburg and Moscow.

Siemens is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the
workplace.

Please forward your resume to:
Gustavo....@siemens.com
Dorin.C...@siemens.com

------------------------------

From: "Tao Zhao" <Tao....@intusurg.com>
Subject: JOB : Intern - Intuitive Surgical - Sunnyvale CA

Intuitive Surgical's Applied Research group is looking for interns to help
carry out some exciting cross-disciplinary projects in robotic surgery in
application programming, embedded programming, computer vision and mechanical
design. In computer vision related area, we seek talents to contribute in
one or more of the following areas:
- Endoscopic camera calibration and study of camera parameter variation
during clinical use
- Study of 3D sensors during clinical use
- Stereo and/or temporal matching of surgical images
- Registration and fusion of data from multiple modalities
- Object recognition, pose estimation and augmented reality

We are open in working with candidates at different levels and with different
interests. Expected contributions can range from evaluating existing implementations,
to implementing/improving existing algorithms, to invent completely new methods.
We can accommodate system focused candidates as well as algorithm developers.
PhD candidates and advanced MS students are preferred. Other exceptional
candidates will also be considered.

Requirements:
- Passion to work in a high energy team towards excellence to help improve
the life of hundreds of thousands of patients.
- Knowledge in computer vision, image processing, medical imaging. Hands-on
experience in one of the areas listed above strongly preferred.
- Strong programming skill in C/C++, Matlab and fast prototyping.
- Familiarity with image/video acquisition.

Start time: May/June 2008, other time is possible
Period: typically 3-4 months, longer-term intern is possible

Contact:
Christopher J. Hasser, Ph.D.
Director, Applied Research
Intuitive Surgical, 950 Kifer Road, Sunnyvale, CA 94086
mailto:Chris....@intusurg.com

Intuitive Surgical (www.intuitivesurgical.com), located in Sunnyvale, CA,
is engaged in designing, manufacturing and marketing robotic surgical systems
which revolutionized the way surgeries take place. Its da Vinci® Surgical
system includes six manipulator arms with a total of 41 degrees of freedom,
along with a stereo endoscope and 3D video display, with over 800 installations
worldwide. Surgeons use it to perform tens of thousands of minimally invasive
surgeries per year. Da Vinci represents an outstanding platform for the
development and application of new technologies to surgery.

------------------------------

From: Qiang Ji <q...@ecse.rpi.edu>
Subject: CFP : IEEE PAMI Issue on Probabilistic Graphical Models - 16AUG2008

IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
CALL FOR PAPERS

Special Issue on Probabilistic Graphical Models in Computer Vision

Guest Editors: Qiang Ji, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Jiebo Luo,
Kodak Research; Dimitris Metaxas, Rutgers University; Antonio Torralba,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Thomas Huang, University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Erik Sudderth, University of
California at Berkeley.

TOPIC DESCRIPTION AND JUSTIFICATION
An exciting development over the last decade has been the gradually
widespread adoption of probabilistic graphical models (PGMs) in many
areas of computer vision and pattern recognition. Many problems in
computer vision can be viewed as the search, in a specific domain, for a
coherent global interpretation and understanding from local, uncertain,
and ambiguous observations. Graphical models provide a unified
framework for representing the observations and the domain-specific
contextual knowledge, and for performing recognition and classification
through rigorous probabilistic inference. In addition, PGMs readily
capture the correlations and dependencies among the observations, as
well as between observations and domain or commonsense knowledge, and
allow systematic quantification and propagation of the uncertainties
associated with data and inference.

Graphical models can be classified into directed and undirected models.
The directed graphs include Bayesian Networks (BNs) and Hidden Markov
Models (HMMs), while the undirected graphs include Markov Random Fields
(MRFs) and Conditional Random Fields (CRFs). Both directed and
undirected graphical models have been widely used in computer vision.
For example, HMMs are used in computer vision for motion analysis and
activity understanding, while MRFs are extensively used for image
labeling, segmentation, and stereo reconstruction. The latest research
uses BNs in computer vision for representing causal relationships such
as for facial expression recognition, active vision, visual
surveillance, and for data mining and pattern discovery in pattern
recognition. CRFs provide an appealing alternative to MRFs for
supervised image segmentation and labeling, since they can easily
incorporate expressive, non-local features. Another emerging trend is
to use graphical models to integrate context and prior knowledge with
visual cues in vision and multimedia systems.

Despite their importance and recent successes, PGMs' use in computer
vision still has tremendous room to expand in scope, depth, and rigor.
Their use is especially important for robust and high level visual
understanding and interpretation. This special issue is dedicated to
promoting systematic and rigorous use of PGMs for various problems in
computer vision. We are interested in applications of PGMs in all areas
of computer vision , including (but not limited to)
1) image and video modeling
2) image and video segmentation
3) object detection
4) object and scene recognition
5) high level event and activity understanding
6) motion estimation and tracking
7) new inference and learning (both structure and parameters) theories
for graphical models arising in vision applications
8) generative and discriminative models
9) models incorporating contextual, domain, or commonsense knowledge

TENTATIVE TIMELINES
August 16, 2008 Submission deadline
October 25, 2008 Notification of acceptance
April 18, 2009 Camera-ready manuscript due
October 1, 2009 Targeted publication date

PAPER SUBMISSION AND REVIEW
The papers should be submitted online through PAMI manuscript central
site, with a note/tag designating the manuscript to this special issue.
All submissions will be peer-reviewed by at least 3 experts in the
field. Priority will be given to work with high novelty and potential
impacts. We will return without review submissions that we feel are not
well aligned with our goals for the special issue.

------------------------------

From: Kevin W Bowyer <k...@cse.nd.edu>
Subject: CFP : IEEE Conf on Biometrics - Wash DC - 16MAY2008

IEEE Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS 08)

Sept. 29 - Oct. 1, 2008 Hyatt Regency Crystal City Washington DC

The 2nd International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications
and Systems strives to be the premier research meeting focused on
biometrics. Its broad scope includes advances in fundamental
pattern recognition techniques relevant to biometrics, new biometric
algorithms and / or technologies, analysis of specific applications,
and analysis of the social impacts of biometrics technology. Papers
are solicted on all topics related to the conference theme, including
but not limited to:

security and privacy recognition by gait face recognition
iris biometrics ear biometrics palmprint
multi-biometric fusion 3D face recognition hand geometry
fingerprint speaker recognition writer recognition
smart guns foot biometrics anti-spoofing methods
age effects illumination-invariance face appearance
covariate analysis feature analysis new classifiers

Essential dates to mark on your calendar:
Paper submission - May 16, 2008.
Decision notification - July 25, 2008.
Final copy for proceedings - August 15, 2008.
Conference begins - Monday, Sept. 29, 2008.
Conference ends - Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2008.

Submitted papers may not have been accepted elsewhere, or be under
review elsewhere, during the BTAS 08 review period. Details are
available at the web site
http://www.cse.nd.edu/BTAS_08/

BTAS is sponsored by the IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society,
with the PAMI Technical Committee as technical co-sponsor.

------------------------------

From: henning...@sim.hcuge.ch
Subject: CFP : Special CVIU on Multimedia Retrieval Evaluation - 30APR2008

The submission deadline for papers for the CVIU Special Issue on Image
and Video Retrieval Evaluation has been extended to the 30th of April
2008.

The Call for Papers is also here:
http://www.imageclef.org/?q=cviusi

CALL FOR PAPERS
Computer Vision and Image Understanding
Special Issue on Image and Video Retrieval Evaluation

Guest Editors:
* Allan Hanbury, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
* Henning Müller, University and Hospitals of Geneva, Switzerland
* Paul Clough, The University of Sheffield, UK

Important Dates:
Manuscript submission: 30 April 2008 (extended deadline)
Acceptance Notification: 1 September 2008
Final Manuscript Due: 1 November 2008
Special Issue to Publisher: 15 January 2009
Expected Publication Date: Mid 2009

Visual information is ubiquitous and the amount produced with cheap
digital cameras is rising strongly. To better manage this information,
content-based image and video retrieval has been proposed for general
retrieval as well as in specialised domains. While many techniques have
been developed for image and video retrieval, one of the problems is
that many published approaches are very difficult to compare to each
other as varying databases, performance measures, and methodologies are
used.

In order to mitigate this problem, there has been increased focus on the
evaluation of visual information retrieval systems in the last years.
Similar to the text retrieval domain many years ago, several visual
information retrieval benchmarks with a varying focus have been created
and run. This evaluation is particularly important as many visual
information retrieval techniques and systems are at the point where they
are ready to leave the academic field and become integrated into
commercial prototypes and products. This requires techniques not only to
be interesting as theoretical approaches but also to be comparable with
respect to performance obtained.

The role of this special issue is to fill the need for a comprehensive
overview of the current visual information retrieval evaluation
activities. This is envisioned to include evaluation campaigns as well
as activities at a lower level, such as dataset creation, innovative
approaches to ground truth collection and relevance judgements,
discussion of evaluation metrics and the planning of "realistic" queries
and user models.

Scope:

The scope of this special issue is to cover all aspects of the
evaluation of visual information retrieval.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
* Evaluation campaigns
* Evaluation techniques
* Evaluation metrics
* Datasets and dataset creation
* Query topic creation
* Ground truth collection
* Relevance judgements
* Evaluation of image and video features for retrieval
* Challenges in image and video retrieval evaluation
* User requirement modelling and user modelling
* Evaluation of user interfaces to search engines

Submission Procedure:

Papers should be appropriate for journal publication. Submissions should
follow the guidelines set out by the CVIU.

When submitting papers, the authors should select the specific article
type indicated AND include a line in their cover letter as a failsafe
[example: "This manuscript is submitted to the Special Issue on Image
and Video Retrieval Evaluation"].

All papers should be submitted via the CVIU web-site with Article Type
'Special Issue: Image and Video Retrieval'
http://ees.elsevier.com/cviu/

Full author guides (Preparation of Manuscript, Copyright and
Permissions, Author Inquiries, Submission of Manuscripts) and on-line
submission links can be found at the above link.

All papers will be peer reviewed following the CVIU reviewing procedures.

------------------------------

From: George Bebis <be...@cse.unr.edu>
Subject: CFP : Int Symp on Visual Computing - Las Vegas - 01DEC2008

CALL FOR PAPERS & SPECIAL TRACKS

4th International Symposium on Visual Computing
(ISVC08)

Monte Carlo Resort & Casino
Las Vegas, Nevada
December 1-3, 2008

http://www.isvc.net

The purpose of the International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC) is
to provide a common forum for researchers, scientists, engineers and
practitioners throughout the world to present their latest research
findings, ideas, developments and applications in the broader area of
visual computing.

ISVC08 will consist of invited and contributed presentations dealing
with all aspects of visual computing. In addition to the main technical
program, the symposium will include several keynote speakers, posters
sessions, and special tracks.

ISCV08 seeks papers describing contributions to the state of the art and
state of the practice in the field of visual computing. The symposium is
structured around the four central areas of visual computing:
(1) computer vision
(2) computer graphics
(3) virtual reality
(4) visualization.

In particular, we are interested in papers that combine technologies
from two or more of these areas. For a complete list of topics, please
see http://www.isvc.net/cfp.html

SPECIAL TRACKS
Proposals are invited for special tracks on any topic relevant to the
symposium. If you are interested in organizing a special track, please see
http://www.isvc.net/tracks.html

IMPORTANT DATES
Special track proposals: 4/25 2008
Paper submissions 7/21 2008
Notification of acceptance 9/1 2008
Final camera ready paper 9/15 2008
Advance Registration 9/15 2008
ISVC08 Symposium 12/1-12/3 2008

ISVC08 AREA CHAIRS
(Area 1) Computer Vision Chairs
Paolo Remagnino, Kingston University, UK
Fatih Porikli, MERL, USA
(Area 2) Computer Graphics Chairs
Jorg Peters, University of Florida, USA
James Klosowski, IBM, USA
(Area 3) Virtual Reality Chairs
Laura Arns, Purdue University, USA
Ka Chun Yu, Denver Museum of Nature & Science, USA
(Area 4) Visualization Chairs
Theresa-Marie Rhyme, North Carolina State University, USA
Laura Monroe, Los Alamos National Labs, USA

ISVC08 Keynote Speakers
J.K. Aggarwal, University of Texas, USA
Kelly Geither, University of Texas, USA
Arie Kaufman, SUNY at Stony Brook, USA
Gerard Medioni, USC, USA
Alma Merians, University of Medicine and Dentristry of New Jersey,
Ioannis Pavlidis, University of Houston, USA

ISVC08 PC
(see http://www.isvc.net )

PUBLICATION
All papers accepted will appear in the symposium proceedings which will be
published by Springer-Verlag in the Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS)
series.

BEST PAPER AWARDS
Two "best paper awards", each worth of $500, are sponsored by Siemens
and MERL.

SPONSORS
UNR, NASA, LBNL, DRI, Siemens, Ford, Intel, DigitalPersona HP, Equinox, IBM,
MERL

------------------------------

From: hshr <dengx...@gmail.com>
Subject: CFP : Competition in Coronary tracking segmentation - NY - 01JUN2008

Invitation to compete in Coronary tracking, MS lesion, and Liver tumor
segmentation at MICCAI 2008

Following the successful "3D segmentation in the clinic: a grand
challenge" at MICCAI 2007, there will be an exciting sequel at MICCAI
2008 in New York: a workshop aimed at the quantitative performance
evaluation of 3D image segmentation and tracking algorithms for three
clinical applications, namely coronary artery tracking, multiple
sclerosis lesion segmentation, and liver tumor segmentation.

For this challenge, training and test data are available, and
standardized evaluation measures and tools have been established. The
evaluation results of each separate competition will be summarized in
a top rank journal.