Why is Gödel's G unprovable in F ???

olcott

Apr 15, 2023, 4:33:29 PM4/15/23
"We are therefore confronted with a proposition which asserts its own
unprovability." (Gödel 1931:39-41)

If we take the simplest possible essence of Gödel's logic sentence we
have: G asserts its own unprovability in F.

This means that G is asserting that there is no sequence of inference
steps in F that derives G.

For G to be satisfied in F there would have to be a sequence of
inference steps in F that proves there is no such sequence of inference
steps in F.

This is like René Descartes saying:
“I think therefore thoughts do not exist”

..."there is also a close relationship with the “liar” antinomy,14"
(Gödel 1931:39-41)

"14 Every epistemological antinomy can likewise be used for a similar
undecidability proof."(Gödel 1931:39-41)

So we can see from the above that it is true that G is unprovable in F,
yet without arithmetization and diagonalization hiding the reason why G
is unprovable in F we can see that G is unprovable in F because G is
self-contradictory in F, not because F is in anyway incomplete.

Gödel, Kurt 1931. On Formally Undecidable Propositions of Principia
Mathematica And Related Systems

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius