New edition of the book “Artificial Intelligence Science and Society” (Amazon/Kindle) treating ChatGPT, Large Language Models (LLMs) and Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)

Ioanna Koroni

May 10, 2023, 9:12:35 AM5/10/23
New edition of the book “Artificial Intelligence Science and Society Part A” (Amazon/Kindle) treating ChatGPT, Large Language Models (LLMs) and Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)

Dear AI professional, student, enthusiast,

a new edition (May 2023) of “Artificial Intelligence Science and Society Part A: Introduction to AI Science and Information Technology“ (paperback and e-book versions only) is now available in Amazon/Kindle.
Thought the first edition (October 2023) of this 4-volume book was quite prophetic on various AI topics (e.g., on the development of Deep Arts, or the very slow adoption of Metaverse), I felt the need to add two sections in its Part A on Large Language Models (LLMs) and Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) to clarify issues that sprang out of ChatGPT success, primarily on AI technophobia and on the long-term AI prospects.
AI Science and Engineering is un upcoming scientific discipline that can fuse AI, brain and mind studies and social engineering in a new scientific discipline. It has huge impact on both our society and environment. The new book “Artificial Intelligence Science and Society” consists of four volumes (parts) debating all technical and social grand challenges of AI Science and Engineering in an understandable and scientifically accurate manner:
1. “Artificial Intelligence Science and Society Part A: Introduction to AI Science and Information Technology“
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9609156460?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
2. “Artificial Intelligence Science and Society Part B: AI Science, Mind and Humans“ https://www.amazon.com/dp/9609156479?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
3. “Artificial Intelligence Science and Society Part C: AI Science and Society“ https://www.amazon.com/dp/9609156487?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
4. “Artificial Intelligence Science and Society Part D: AI Science and the Environment“
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9609156495?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
They are self-sufficient and require no mathematical/scientific background. The four book volumes debate and try to forecast the future of AI Science and Engineering, as well as the upcoming Mind and Social Science and Engineering. They are published in Amazon/Kindle.
Here is just an indicative list of few of the debated topics and grand AI challenges:
• Will Artificial General Intelligence replace human intelligence? (Part A)
• Are the Large Language Models the way forward to reconcile Machine learning and Symbolic AI? (Part A)
• Is AI Science and Technology a scientific discipline in its own right? (Part A)
• How can we quantify knowledge? (Part A)
• Can Virtual Reality truly empower meta-societies or is it just a hype? (Part A)
• Can AI-powered human-centred computing surpass human intelligence? (Part A)
• Can we create self-conscious machines? (Part B)
• Can Mind and Social Engineering manipulate human behaviour and social functions? (Part B)
• How do social media facilitate medical disinformation? (Part B)
• What are the envisaged effects of AI and IT on our personal relations and sexual life? (Part B)
• How can we not only protect but also monetize our personal data? (Part C)
• Can AI help devising new political systems? (Part C)
• How are irrationalism, anti-elitism, and social media disinformation related? (Part C)
• Can new technologies ignite social revolutions? (Part C)
• Is life and intelligence due to matter complexity? (Part D)
• Can we patch parts of our brain? (Part D)
• Is climate controllable through Geoengineering? (Part D)
• Can humanity progress without resorting to energy-intensive technologies? (Part D)

Part A Table of contents (297 pages): Data, Signals, Systems, Mathematics, Data Acquisition, Processing and Analysis, Data Storage and Search, Computer Vision, Data Visualization, Computer Graphics and Animation, Virtual and Augmented Reality, Audio, Speech, and Text Analysis, Machine Learning. Pattern Recognition, Deep Learning, Information, Metadata, Semantics, Concepts, Symbolic Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge, Anthropocentric Computing, Robotics, Autonomy, Networks and the Internet, The World Wide Web, Social Media, Network analytics, Swarm Intelligence, Software, Computing, Communications, Security, Blockchain, Large Language Models and Artificial General Intelligence.

Part B Table of contents (276 pages): Nervous System, Brain, Brain imaging, Brain connectome, Neural and Brain Models, Sensing, Human Senses, Perception, Interoception, Physical Intelligen, Action and Motion, Mind, Cognition, Memory, Intelligence, Affect, Affective Computing, Language and Speech, Written Language and Communication, Consciousness and Self-awareness, Self-aware Machines, Computational Brain Modeling Tools, Brain-Inspired Computing, Medicine, Medical Genomics, Medical Data, Medical Disinformation, Pharmaceutics and Drug Discovery, Anti-vaccination Movement, Ambient Assisted Living, Minors, Sex, Pornography, Social Flexibility and Personal Relations.

Part C Table of contents (335 pages): Identity, Intellectual Property,Privacy protection, Fake data, News and Agora, Media Production and Streaming, Music and Dance, Digital Humanities, Ex machina Arts, Computational Aesthetics, Research, Research Dissemination, Morphosis, Educational Methods, Education and Society, Truth, Justice, Digital Crime, Digital Markets,Online Marketing, Finance and Economics, AI and IT Economics, Cryptocurrencies, Non-Fungible Tokens, Digital Governance, Industry, Labor, Meta-agoras and Meta-societies, Politics and Democracy, Computational Politics, Societal and Political Networks, Social Activism, Irrationalism and Anti-elitism, Virtual Communities and Disinformation, Political Activism, Computational History, Computational Social Science, Ethics and Philosophy, Religion, Religious Practice and AI, Religious Art, War and Peace, Advanced Warfare, Revolution, Geopolitics, Trustworthy AI, Information and Knowledge society.
Part D Table of contents (177 pages): Space and Time, Life, Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Animal and Plant Intelligence, Bio-inspired Machines, Epidemiology, Microcosm, Ecology, Agriculture, Sustainable and Precision Agriculture, Organic Farming, Earth Sensing, Meteorology, Climate Change, Archaeology and Restoration, Smart Cities, Land Transportation, Shipping, Aviation, Renewable Energy, Green Information Technologies, Sustainable Earth Resources, Geology and Seismology, Space and Astronomy, Law of Complexity.
About the author: This book is a result of a two-year effort by Prof. Ioannis. Pitas (IEEE fellow, IEEE Distinguished Lecturer, EURASIP fellow) and was influenced by his being principal investigator of 75+ R&D projects on Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Digital Media and chairing the International AI Doctoral Academy (AIDA). Prof. I. Pitas is Director of the Artificial Intelligence and Information Analysis (AIIA) lab at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH), Greece. He was chair and initiator of the IEEE Autonomous Systems Initiative (ASI). He has (co-)authored 15 books, 45 book chapters and over 950 papers in the above topics. He has 34500+ citations to his work and h-index 87+. He is ranked 319 worldwide and first in Greece in the field of Computer Science (2022).

This message is sent only once. I apologize if you receive it through multiple communication channels.

Enjoy!
Prof. Ioannis. Pitas
pi...@csd.auth.gr