Article: Distributed Reasoning in a Peer-to-Peer Setting: Application to the Semantic Web

jai...@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov

Mar 1, 2006, 1:29:04 AM3/1/06
JAIR is pleased to announce the publication of the following article:

Adjiman, P., Chatalic, P., Goasdoue, F., Rousset, M.C. and Simon, L. (2006)
"Distributed Reasoning in a Peer-to-Peer Setting: Application to the Semantic Web",
Volume 25, pages 269-314.

For quick access via your WWW browser, use this URL:
http://www.jair.org/abstracts/adjiman06a.html

Abstract:
In a peer-to-peer inference system, each peer can reason locally but
can also solicit some of its acquaintances, which are peers sharing
part of its vocabulary. In this paper, we consider peer-to-peer
inference systems in which the local theory of each peer is a set of
propositional clauses defined upon a local vocabulary. An important
characteristic of peer-to-peer inference systems is that the global
theory (the union of all peer theories) is not known (as opposed to
partition-based reasoning systems). The main contribution of this
paper is to provide the first consequence finding algorithm in a
peer-to-peer setting: DeCA. It is anytime and computes consequences
gradually from the solicited peer to peers that are more and more
distant. We exhibit a sufficient condition on the acquaintance graph
of the peer-to-peer inference system for guaranteeing the completeness
of this algorithm. Another important contribution is to apply this
general distributed reasoning setting to the setting of the Semantic
Web through the Somewhere semantic peer-to-peer data management
system. The last contribution of this paper is to provide an
experimental analysis of the scalability of the peer-to-peer
infrastructure that we propose, on large networks of 1000 peers.

The article is available via:

-- comp.ai.jair.papers (also see comp.ai.jair.announce)

-- World Wide Web: The URL for our World Wide Web server is
http://www.jair.org/
For direct access to this article and related files try:
http://www.jair.org/abstracts/adjiman06a.html

-- Anonymous FTP from Carnegie-Mellon University (USA):
ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/project/jair/volume25/adjiman06a.ps
The compressed PostScript file is named adjiman06a.ps.Z

For more information about JAIR, visit our WWW or FTP sites, or
contact jai...@isi.edu

--
Steven Minton
JAIR Managing Editor