Article: An Approach to Temporal Planning and Scheduling in Domains with Predictable Exogenous Events

jai...@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov

Feb 23, 2006, 3:51:35 PM2/23/06
JAIR is pleased to announce the publication of the following article:

Gerevini, A., Saetti, A. and Serina, I. (2006)
"An Approach to Temporal Planning and Scheduling in Domains with Predictable Exogenous Events",
Volume 25, pages 187-231.

For quick access via your WWW browser, use this URL:
http://www.jair.org/abstracts/gerevini06a.html

Abstract:
The treatment of exogenous events in planning is practically important in
many real-world domains where the preconditions of certain plan actions
are affected by such events. In this paper we focus on planning in
temporal domains with exogenous events that happen at known times,
imposing the constraint that certain actions in the plan must be executed
during some predefined time windows. When actions have durations, handling
such temporal constraints adds an extra difficulty to planning.
We propose an approach to planning in these domains which integrates
constraint-based temporal reasoning into a graph-based planning framework
using local search. Our techniques are implemented in a planner that took
part in the 4th International Planning Competition (IPC-4). A statistical
analysis of the results of IPC-4 demonstrates the effectiveness of our
approach in terms of both CPU-time and plan quality. Additional
experiments show the good performance of the temporal reasoning techniques
integrated into our planner.

The article is available via:

-- comp.ai.jair.papers (also see comp.ai.jair.announce)

-- World Wide Web: The URL for our World Wide Web server is
http://www.jair.org/
For direct access to this article and related files try:
http://www.jair.org/abstracts/gerevini06a.html

-- Anonymous FTP from Carnegie-Mellon University (USA):
ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/project/jair/volume25/gerevini06a.ps
The compressed PostScript file is named gerevini06a.ps.Z

For more information about JAIR, visit our WWW or FTP sites, or
contact jai...@isi.edu

--
Steven Minton
JAIR Managing Editor