Article: CIXL2: A Crossover Operator for Evolutionary Algorithms Based on Population Features

jai...@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov

Jul 15, 2005, 4:30:17 PM7/15/05
JAIR is pleased to announce the publication of the following article:

Ortiz-Boyer, D., Hervás-Martínez, C. and García-Pedrajas, N. (2005)
"CIXL2: A Crossover Operator for Evolutionary Algorithms Based on Population Features",
Volume 24, pages 1-48.

For quick access via your WWW browser, use this URL:
http://www.jair.org/abstracts/ortizboyer05a.html

Abstract:
In this paper we propose a crossover operator for evolutionary
algorithms with real values that is based on the statistical theory of
population distributions. The operator is based on the theoretical
distribution of the values of the genes of the best individuals in the
population. The proposed operator takes into account the localization
and dispersion features of the best individuals of the population with
the objective that these features would be inherited by the
offspring. Our aim is the optimization of the balance between
exploration and exploitation in the search process.
In order to test the efficiency and robustness of this crossover, we
have used a set of functions to be optimized with regard to different
criteria, such as, multimodality, separability, regularity and
epistasis. With this set of functions we can extract conclusions in
function of the problem at hand. We analyze the results using ANOVA
and multiple comparison statistical tests.
As an example of how our crossover can be used to solve artificial
intelligence problems, we have applied the proposed model to the
problem of obtaining the weight of each network in a ensemble of
neural networks. The results obtained are above the performance of
standard methods.

The article is available via:

-- comp.ai.jair.papers (also see comp.ai.jair.announce)

-- World Wide Web: The URL for our World Wide Web server is
http://www.jair.org/
For direct access to this article and related files try:
http://www.jair.org/abstracts/ortizboyer05a.html

-- Anonymous FTP from Carnegie-Mellon University (USA):
ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/project/jair/volume24/ortizboyer05a.ps
The compressed PostScript file is named ortizboyer05a.ps.Z

For more information about JAIR, visit our WWW or FTP sites, or
contact jai...@isi.edu

--
Steven Minton
JAIR Managing Editor