Creatures: Getting it's own newsgroup

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Patrick Kearney

unread,
Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96
to

We are in the process of setting up a newsgroup just for Creatures
discussion. As this is a process that takes several weeks to do, and needs
to be "voted" upon by interested parties, we will be posting a ballot of
sorts to this and related newsgroups. Please fill this out and return it
to us, so we can send all the votes to the group that grants new
newsgroups.

Be watching for the ballot in the next day or two.

Thanks,

Patrick J. Kearney
Inscape

PS: name suggestions are welcome - some possibilities:

comp.ai.creatures
alt.creatures
alt.alife.games.creatures
comp.ai.games.creatures
alt.patrick_is_god.creatures (just seeing if you're paying attention)

Adam David Burry

unread,
Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96
to

Patrick Kearney (pkea...@inscape.com) wrote:

[some stuff deleted]

: PS: name suggestions are welcome - some possibilities:

: comp.ai.creatures
: alt.creatures
: alt.alife.games.creatures
: comp.ai.games.creatures
: alt.patrick_is_god.creatures (just seeing if you're paying attention)

Perhaps rec.games.creatures?

--
--- Adam David Burry -------------------------------------------------
I'd rather be naked * Get wet * Make each day a good day to die * Kill
your television * Listen to old people * Fireball something/anything *
Read * Voice your opinion * Send me email * Wear a flower in your hair
------------------------------------ http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~aburry ---

lpi...@aol.com

unread,
Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96
to

Hello,


In my opinion the title "alt.creatures" for the creatures' newsgroup would
be the best solution.

Best Regards

John Nagle

unread,
Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96
to

lpi...@aol.com writes:
>In my opinion the title "alt.creatures" for the creatures' newsgroup would
>be the best solution.

Too broad. "comp.ai.games.creatures".

Toby Simpson

unread,
Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96
to

lpi...@aol.com wrote in article
<19961126220...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
> Hello,

> In my opinion the title "alt.creatures" for the creatures' newsgroup
would
> be the best solution.

comp.ai.games.creatures would be my vote as we not only want to talk about
Creatures, but stimulate interesting conversations about all of the AI/AL
things too, and if we had a newsgroup of "alt.creatures", we'd possibly
miss people who would otherwise drop by.

Toby
--
Toby Simpson, Manager and Executive Producer, Creatures Products.
Cyberlife Technologies Ltd.
FOR CREATURES CUSTOMER SUPPORT INFORMATION:
http://www.cyberlife.co.uk/creatures_customer_support.htm


Yann Kristofic

unread,
Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96
to

John Nagle wrote:

>
> lpi...@aol.com writes:
> >In my opinion the title "alt.creatures" for the creatures' newsgroup would
> >be the best solution.
>
> Too broad. "comp.ai.games.creatures".I'd give my vote to that one... (comp.ai.games.creatures)

James Sabin

unread,
Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96
to

abu...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Adam David Burry) writes:

>
> Patrick Kearney (pkea...@inscape.com) wrote:
>
> [some stuff deleted]
>
> : PS: name suggestions are welcome - some possibilities:
>
> : comp.ai.creatures
> : alt.creatures
> : alt.alife.games.creatures
> : comp.ai.games.creatures
> : alt.patrick_is_god.creatures (just seeing if you're paying attention)
>
> Perhaps rec.games.creatures?

comp.ai...... creatures would be nicer, the rec/alt groups get switched
off in come places (at least in my company and those of a few friends of
mine). It would be a shame to miss this group.

Jim
--
------------------------------------------------------
James Sabin, g...@delcam.com, g...@8ball.bytenet.co.uk
DDX Project Manager, Delcam Development (Data Exchange)
Tel:0121-766-5544 (International +44 121-766-5544)
Fax:0121-766-5511 (International +44 121-766-5511)


Clarendon

unread,
Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96
to

In article <01bbdc7a$8a959400$ba38...@campc021.cyberlife.co.uk>, Toby
Simpson <to...@millennium.co.uk> writes

>comp.ai.games.creatures would be my vote as we not only want to talk about
>Creatures, but stimulate interesting conversations about all of the AI/AL
>things too, and if we had a newsgroup of "alt.creatures", we'd possibly
>miss people who would otherwise drop by.
Agree. comp.ai.games.creatures would also enable more people to find the
newsgroup easily.
Nooga's Unofficial Guide to Creatures
www.preece.demon.co.uk

Frogger

unread,
Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96
to

In article <pkearney-251...@38.225.77.51>, Patrick Kearney wrote:
>
>PS: name suggestions are welcome - some possibilities:
>
>comp.ai.creatures
>alt.creatures
>alt.alife.games.creatures
>comp.ai.games.creatures
>alt.patrick_is_god.creatures (just seeing if you're paying attention)

Don't pick alt.* as many universities just don't carry them...

comp.ai.creatures is probably the best one... (IMHO)

Rob

---

Addicted - http://mudhole.ehche.ac.uk/~addicted/
Lee & Herring WWW Page - http://mudhole.ehche.ac.uk/fist/


Bjorn Reese

unread,
Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96
to

Patrick Kearney wrote:
>
> We are in the process of setting up a newsgroup just for Creatures
> discussion. As this is a process that takes several weeks to do, and needs

A few questions.

What is the charter of that newsgroup? If it consists of discussing a
particular game the newsgroup could become idle in a year or so, and
it may be a better idea to make a mailinglist.

Is there a need for a seperate newsgroup? Normally a new newsgroup is
created because (a) it doesn't fit any other newsgroup, or (b) the
subject is flooding an existing newsgroup.

Michael Alan SOSS

unread,
Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96
to

Even though I've never played creatures, I'd have to say that I think I
might take a peek when it reaches the New World. It all sounds very
interesting. But I digress . . .

I think the best name for a newsgroup that you could have is:

comp.ai.games.creatures

alt.creatures is no good, because people might start posting there,
thinking it's a newsgroup about either monsters or biology or something.

comp.ai.creatures is also no good. The reason here is that a lot of
people (including me when I saw the first post) will think that the
newsgroup is about AI methods of controlling creatures. By creatures, I
mean monsters in adventure games, the thief from Zork, et cetera.

So, I think that if you want a minimal amount of people posting to your
newsgroup off-topic, I think that comp.ai.games.creatures is the best way
to do it. Either that or alt.games.creatures. But I think that if you
avoid the fact that it's a game in the newsgroup title, you're inviting
yourself to lots of off-topic posts.

Mike


Christer Ericson

unread,
Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96
to

On 30 Nov 1996 07:05:35 GMT, so...@lisa.cs.mcgill.ca (Michael Alan SOSS) wrote:
>[...]

>I think the best name for a newsgroup that you could have is:
>
>comp.ai.games.creatures
>
>alt.creatures is no good, because people might start posting there,
>thinking it's a newsgroup about either monsters or biology or something.
>
>comp.ai.creatures is also no good. The reason here is that a lot of
>people (including me when I saw the first post) will think that the
>newsgroup is about AI methods of controlling creatures. By creatures, I
>mean monsters in adventure games, the thief from Zork, et cetera.

Which is exactly what comp.ai.games is for; the discussion of AI
_techniques_ for use in games. That's why the group is in the
comp.ai.* hierarchy in the first place.

As some people have misunderstood my previous statements I'd better
say that discussing Creatures here is perfectly valid as long as the
discussion is a technical one, e.g. "how could they have implemented..."
However, questions of the type "I lost an egg, how do I get it back?"
have absolutely nothing to do with AI techniques and thus do not belong
here but in a general games newsgroup, in this case typically
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc.

It seems people have a hard time distinguishing the difference between
discussing a game that uses AI techniques and discussing the AI techniques
that the game is using.

Let me say it one more time: just because a game uses AI techniques
doesn't make questions on _how to play the game_ belong in comp.ai.games.


For the same reason, comp.ai.games.creatures would be totally wrong as
a group for discussing Creatures in. The standard nomenclature of newsgroups
would make "comp.ai.games.creatures" the newsgroup where AI techniques
used in the game Creatures would be discussed. Not where Creatures in
general terms should be discussed.

If anything, I would suggest alt.games.creatures as a good name. That
name follows the pattern of all other game-specific groups (alt.games.doom,
etc).

Eric Dybsand

unread,
Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96
to

In article <32a0c34e....@la-news1.digilink.net>,
chri...@neversoft.com (Christer Ericson) wrote:

>>
>>comp.ai.creatures is also no good. The reason here is that a lot of
>>people (including me when I saw the first post) will think that the
>>newsgroup is about AI methods of controlling creatures. By creatures, I
>>mean monsters in adventure games, the thief from Zork, et cetera.
>
>Which is exactly what comp.ai.games is for; the discussion of AI
>_techniques_ for use in games. That's why the group is in the
>comp.ai.* hierarchy in the first place.
>

Christer is right! The purpose of comp.ai.games is to provide a forum
for the discussion of _developing_ artificial intelligence in computer
games, and is not a place for general discussion of how to play any game.

There are a number of more appropriate newsgroups for that purpose.

>
>Let me say it one more time: just because a game uses AI techniques
>doesn't make questions on _how to play the game_ belong in comp.ai.games.
>

Every non-trivial computer game (and many trivial computer games) use some
form of AI in them, including Creatures. However just because a game uses
AI in it, does not mean that comp.ai.games is the place where how-to-play
and where-do-I-find-it questions, about the game, should be discussed.


>
>If anything, I would suggest alt.games.creatures as a good name. That
>name follows the pattern of all other game-specific groups (alt.games.doom,
>etc).
>

There is an entire series of alt.games.<put game name here> groups that have
appeared for _game specific_ discussions. Perhaps the Creatures posters could
set up alt.games.creatures or start an email list server and move these non-AI
topical posts out of the comp.ai.games newsgroup.

Regards,

Eric Dybsand
Glacier Edge Technology


Ola Hansson

unread,
Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96
to

In article <32a0c34e....@la-news1.digilink.net>,

Christer Ericson <chri...@neversoft.com> wrote:
>
>If anything, I would suggest alt.games.creatures as a good name. That
>name follows the pattern of all other game-specific groups (alt.games.doom,
>etc.) ^^^^^

False statement - look at the rec.games.roguelike.* hierarchy for
counter-example.

/Ola

--
-------------------------| \ _, "Search for the unicorn in
Ola Mikael Hansson | /*.\___ your heart, believe - and you
-------------------------| ` ( __ )\ shall find true beauty!"
dat9...@ludat.lth.se | (l (l '

Geoff

unread,
Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96
to

In article <32a0c34e....@la-news1.digilink.net>, Christer Ericson
<chri...@neversoft.com> writes

>On 30 Nov 1996 07:05:35 GMT, so...@lisa.cs.mcgill.ca (Michael Alan SOSS) wrote:
>>[...]
>>I think the best name for a newsgroup that you could have is:
>>
>>comp.ai.games.creatures
>>

Might I suggest that:

comp.ai.games.cyberlife

might be a title worth a bit more thought.

Creatures from what I have read is an implementation of the cyberlife
system for A-Life. I understand that they have other projects that are
planned (months, years perhaps) it would seem logical to lump them all
together..

I just thought i would mention it as no one else has. Must admit to
preferring comp.ai.games.creatures overall.
--
Geoff Hogg ge...@hene.demon.co.uk

Turnpike evaluation. For information, see http://www.turnpike.com/

MCV

unread,
Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96
to

Ola Hansson (dat9...@ludat.lth.se) wrote:
: In article <32a0c34e....@la-news1.digilink.net>,

: Christer Ericson <chri...@neversoft.com> wrote:
: >
: >If anything, I would suggest alt.games.creatures as a good name. That
: >name follows the pattern of all other game-specific groups (alt.games.doom,
: >etc.) ^^^^^

: False statement - look at the rec.games.roguelike.* hierarchy for
: counter-example.

I prefer a group in the rec.* hierarchy over one in the alt.*
hierarchy anyway. So it'd be rec.games.computer.creatures.

So the suggested names are:

alt.games.creatures
comp.ai.games.creatures
rec.games.computer.creatures

Any other suggestions? Which name do you prefer?


ttfn,
mcv. <><
--
Unsolicited advertising will be proofread at the cost of US$500/message.
Mailing of such shall be taken as acceptance of these terms.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages