Troubles installing Amiga Unix

mac...@hotmail.com

Jan 25, 2015, 2:37:46 PM1/25/15
Hello everyone,

I'm attempting to install Amiga Unix onto an A3000.

I have all the pre-requisites. A3000 with 16MB ram, A2065 Network card, updated chips - latest revision buster and WDC SCSI chip.

I first tried to download images from http://amix.failsure.net/
However, I'm having problems unzipping any of them. When I use bzip2 to decompress any bz2 file from that site, I get a "Data integrity error when decompressing." This is the same in either Mac OS or on my Windows XP box. I'm not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong, or if the files were written with some other zip program and falsely have a bz2 extension. Hoping maybe someone can confirm or deny what I'm seeing.

In searching for media I found http://www.vintagebytes.de/amix/
I downloaded the files and was able to decompress them.
After decompression I sent the files over ftp to my Amiga 3000.
I used dcp to write the install media directly to a spare drive, and I made the floppy disks.

I'm able to boot and the install script starts. However, when the script gets to "Scanning SCSI bus for hard disk..." things appear to lock up. The hard disk light stays on and the computer just sits there. I've tried different SCSI ids, same result.

I do have an Amiga 3070 and some blank tapes. However, without usable files from amix.failsure.net, I can't attempt that route. I do have access to a linux box at work. I'd like to hook the Amiga 3070 to that machine and create the Amix install tape. However, not too sure of all the steps installed in that process, as the instructions on http://amix.failsure.net/ seem to be specific to creating the tapes from an Amiga Unix installation. I've read others seemed to have created the tapes on an AmigaOS installation. I'd be glad to do that, but again, unsure how to do it. If the tar is expanded on the drive and then using BTNtape to write the files in the correct order onto the tape...? In either case, it's impossible to create the tape without the files to do so.

Of course, that still doesn't fix the issue with locking up while scanning the SCSI bus...

I'm hoping someone may have some ideas and files to help me out.

Thanks,

Mack

Christian Hoppe

Jan 26, 2015, 2:38:42 AM1/26/15
Am 25.01.2015 um 20:37 schrieb mac...@hotmail.com:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm attempting to install Amiga Unix onto an A3000.

[...]

> I'm able to boot and the install script starts. However, when the script gets to "Scanning SCSI bus for hard disk..." things appear to lock up. The hard disk light stays on and the computer just sits there. I've tried different SCSI ids, same result.

This sounds more like a SCSI-problem, than a problem with AMIX. Did you
terminate both ends? How is your SCSI-chain installed (which devices,
which IDs, internal/external, termination, termpower, terminators, etc.)?

--
Ciao

Christian