CommunityWalk Is Down, Possibly Permanently

Jared Cosulich

Sep 3, 2021, 12:06:28 PM9/3/21
to CommunityWalk
Hi all,

I'm afraid something happened to our hosting provider, Heroku, and CommunityWalk is currently down. We are talking with them about it, but if they are unable to fix it then we may have to shut CommunityWalk down. If that is the case we will refund all users their last payment. I hope it won't come to that, but at the moment we aren't making much progress with our hosting provider.

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing people. It came out of nowhere just the other day based on changes Heroku has made. At the moment if Heroku doesn't address the ramifications of those changes then we likely will not be able to get CommunityWalk back up and running.

We will post more in this forum as more information becomes available.

Best,
Jared

Jared Cosulich

Sep 3, 2021, 12:17:39 PM9/3/21
to CommunityWalk
While we try to sort this out people should prepare for the possibility that their maps on CommunityWalk are gone. I don't know how good it is, but people may want to look at Google's own mapping product https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/ as a possible alternative.

James Martin

Sep 3, 2021, 11:58:42 PM9/3/21
to CommunityWalk
Jared,

Thanks for the update.  I've used Google Maps and have to say that the features on Community Walk are better.  If you can't work things out with the current host provider would you be looking for another host or would you just drop the project altogether?

Jimmy

Jared Cosulich

Sep 4, 2021, 12:03:42 AM9/4/21
to CommunityWalk
I'm afraid at this point the software that runs CommunityWalk is so dated that it would have to be rebuilt before it could be transferred to another hosting company. At that point, though, it could also continue to be hosted on Heroku. Unfortunately we don't have the ability to rebuild it at this point.

I'm afraid it's looking like it may be the end of the project.

Jared

James Martin

Sep 4, 2021, 10:15:01 AM9/4/21
to CommunityWalk
That's a real bummer.  I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed for a miracle to happen at the current host and service to be restored.

Jimmy

Keith Hammonds

Sep 20, 2021, 8:48:55 AM9/20/21
to CommunityWalk
Hello Jared, I just came across this resource today. I have never heard of it before but it seems as if it was a great resource that people enjoyed using. I was curious to see if you would be willing to discuss what happened to see if I could offer some assistance. I am a developer who has experience with Heroku and mapping and such. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks

TimK

Sep 28, 2021, 8:15:37 AM9/28/21
to CommunityWalk
Hi Jared,

Would it be possible for me to get a spreadsheet version (CSV, Excel, whatever) of the map at this URL: https://www.communitywalk.com/jackson/ms/jackson_fantasy_rail/map/214023

Best regards,
Tim Kynerd

jared.c...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2021, 8:16:21 AM9/28/21
to commun...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I will send it to you directly.

William M

Nov 15, 2021, 5:49:44 PM11/15/21
to CommunityWalk
Hello   dkeithh...

Could you suggest an app or website with equivalent functionality to Community Walk?
Google map seems limited in how layers function.

Thanks much,,,

William

Larry -

Dec 28, 2021, 7:19:20 AM12/28/21
to CommunityWalk
Hello,  Can you tell me how I can retrieve data I left on Community Walk?  Thank you.

You ran a wonderful website.  I found it to be very well conceived.  I wish you the best.  Happy Holidays.

Larry Doff

jared.c...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2021, 7:24:40 AM12/28/21
to commun...@googlegroups.com