Fwd: Water Action Team outdoor planting schedule for week of Nov. 15-21

Lauren Merrill

Nov 16, 2020, 12:54:24 AM11/16/20
to natural-area...@googlegroups.com, communit...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

Another week of volunteer activities! I'll be there on Wednesday if anyone wants to join. Email Dave if you're interested.

We are halfway into November, halfway through the shrubs we need to plant! Come join us before the rains take over our skies and it's gray day after gray day. A lot of the holes have been pre-dug (what a luxury!) so we need people to put shrubs in the ground. Let me tell you, it's a very relaxing activity. We have been planting coyote bush, spiraea, native roses, snowberry, and mock orange to name a few.

For those of you who are interested, the work at Bald Hill Natural Area is part of a regeneration effort around Dunawi Creek. Dunawi creek is about 2 miles long, flowing from Bald Hill into the Mary's River. For agricultural purposes, one section of the creek was redirected underground through pipes. Those pipes are now naturally eroding over time, and the creek is escaping to flood the field. Plants strengthen the soil structure and will benefit the riparian zone as the creek regenerates.

See you at a planting!!!!

Lauren Merrill
Natural Areas Action Team
Corvallis Sustainability Coalition