Thanks and other volunteer opportunities - NAAT

Lauren Merrill

Jan 18, 2022, 4:37:24 PM1/18/22
to natural-area...@googlegroups.com, communit...@googlegroups.com, Molly Monroe
Hi Natural Areas and Community Habitat Action Teams,

Thank you to those who were able to come out and volunteer on Sunday for our pollinator project. In addition to both food and habitat spaces, our pollinator species need to be able to get from one space to another. The more pockets of nectar resources and host plants we have around, the better!

Thanks again to Esther McEvoy who manages the Native Plant Garden at Avery House Nature Center for the strawberry plants and Steve McGettigan from Parks and Recreation for providing the tools for all the hard work we did.

We:
- weeded most of the islands to reduce competition for our chosen plants
- planted Fragaria virginia (wild strawberry) which is a great ground cover and supports a variety of pollinators in one of the islands
- planted camas bulbs which are culturally significant and pollinator approved
- spread wildflower seed mix of a variety of native species

Here are some links if you are interested in learning more about the species we planted or the Oregon Bee Project, which is where Molly got seed mix from.

Oregon Bee Project - a cooperative partnership between the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA), OSU Extension Service, the Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF), and others who want to support bee health in Oregon
Camas
Looking for more ways to volunteer?

Saturday, January 29th, 7:30 pm - 8:20 pm - Native Plant Society
(The time might be 1-3 pm and this might be a copy error)
Event: Work Party Winter cleanup at Native Plant Garden at Avery House, Avery Park, Corvallis. Cleanup includes pruning, raking leaves and fixing the fencing. Contact Esther for more information at 541-990-0948 or esth...@peak.org.

Benton Soil and Water Conservation District needs volunteers for their Native Plant Sale. They need people to set up the orders. Sign up here - or email Teresa Matteson for more details - tmat...@bentonswcd.org

Thank you!
Lauren Merrill
Natural Areas Action Team, Co-Leader
Corvallis Sustainability Coalition