Work Party at Crystal Lake - January 16, 10 am

Lauren Merrill

Jan 3, 2022, 3:25:22 PM1/3/22
to natural-area...@googlegroups.com, communit...@googlegroups.com, Molly Monroe
Hi Natural Areas Action Team,

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday weekend! During the three years I've been in the Willamette Valley, this is the first time I've encountered snow like that. It was beautiful and much enjoyed.

Now, new year, new work party!

We're hoping to put native wildflower seed down in the islands at Crystal Lake Park, as well as put some native strawberry plants in the ground. Then we'll head to the intersection of the Eric. E Austin bike path and Crystal Lake Drive and put some seed down there as well.

Why plant now when it's cold and rainy? Being together in miserable conditions helps us get closer! But for real, native plants in the Willamette Valley are adapted to heavy precipitation in the winter, and low rainfall in summer. If we had planted in the summer, plants would need to be watered (by us!) in order to become established. As part of the Sustainability Coalition, we're making the decision to conserve water.

Meet at Crystal Lake Parking Lot on Sunday, January 16 at 10 am. We'll do some initial weeding of the islands if necessary, then spread seed and plant. Tools and gloves will be provided. Please wear weather-appropriate clothing.

Please let me know if you plan to attend by Wednesday, January 12 so that I can get the necessary number of tools.

If Crystal Lake is flooded, bring your scuba gear, we'll reschedule.

Thank you and I'm excited to get this underway!

Lauren Merrill
Natural Areas Action Team, Co-Leader
Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

Molly Monroe

Jan 12, 2022, 2:20:14 PM1/12/22
to Lauren Merrill, natural-area...@googlegroups.com, communit...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to seeing some of you this Sunday, it looks like the weather is going to cooperate and it will be a fun couple of hours playing in the dirt!
Thanks,
Molly~