Article by the founder of People of Color Outdoors

1 view

Annette Mills

Jun 20, 2022, 1:35:26 PM6/20/22
to community-inclusion-corvall...@googlegroups.com, communit...@googlegroups.com, natural-area...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Community Inclusion and Natural Areas Action Team members,

In celebration of Juneteenth, I’ve been exploring various online opportunities to learn more about the lingering inequities of slavery – and to see if there’s a way to support those who are leading the way in addressing those inequities.

I just ran across an article that appeared in the Oregon Metro News a couple of years ago, written by Pamela Slaughter, the founder of People of Color Outdoors. I wanted to share this wonderful article with you, since I know you will appreciate it: Reclaiming nature for people of color | Metro (oregonmetro.gov).

Annette

Annette Mills, Facilitator/Director (she/her/hers)

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

www.sustainablecorvallis.org

541-230-1237

I live within the traditional homeland of the Ampinefu Band of Kalapuya.  Following the Willamette Valley Treaty of 1855 (Kalapuya …Treaty), Kalapuya people were forcibly removed to reservations at either Grand Ronde or Siletz. Today, the Kalapuya live on tribal lands or tribal-ceded lands throughout the region. Many Kalapuya are active members of the sovereign nations of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde or the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. Kalapuya culture is alive.