Neighborhood Roots update & meeting reminder - Tuesday 12/7/21 @ 4 pm

Annette Mills

Dec 6, 2021, 11:10:31 PM12/6/21
to community-inclusion-corvall...@googlegroups.com, natural-area...@googlegroups.com, communit...@googlegroups.com

Community Inclusion/Natural Areas Action Teams Meeting

Tuesday, Dec. 7 – 4:00 to 5:00 pm
Zoom link
: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82648975929?pwd=cHFMMHdnMjM1OWlObG9DTkZMMjMrQT09

PLEASE READ the following message prior to Tuesday’s meeting:

·         There has been an unexpected turn of events regarding the Neighborhood Roots project. Last week the City’s Urban Forester, Jennifer Killian, notified me that a group from the Unitarian Fellowship is going to fund, plant, and maintain 12 new trees along the exact stretch of NE Conifer that we had identified for our project.

·         Although our teams had done the background work of coordinating with City staff, identifying the project area, and drafting outreach materials, the project has been turned over to another group. It is quite puzzling.

·         In response, I suggested that we could either work with the City to plant street trees in another neighborhood in NE Corvallis or shift our focus to private properties. Jennifer was eager to support the latter, saying “since our limited staff is tasked with managing all newly planted [street] trees in perpetuity, we need to be realistic about the amount of trees we put in the ground each year. I think where we really need more canopy, especially in lower income and underrepresented areas, is in private yards.”

So our meeting on Tuesday will shift to tree planting on private property, which has a number of advantages that we will discuss.

We look forward to seeing you and having you be part of the discussion!

Thanks,

Annette

Annette Mills, Facilitator/Director (she/her/hers)

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

www.sustainablecorvallis.org

541-230-1237

I live within the traditional homeland of the Ampinefu Band of Kalapuya.  Following the Willamette Valley Treaty of 1855 (Kalapuya …Treaty), Kalapuya people were forcibly removed to reservations at either Grand Ronde or Siletz. Today, the Kalapuya live either within the tribal reservations or in communities throughout the region. Many Kalapuya are active members of the sovereign nations of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde or the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. Kalapuya culture is alive.