Fwd: Water Action Team updates and upcoming schedule

Lauren Merrill

Jan 17, 2021, 2:55:30 PM1/17/21
to natural-area...@googlegroups.com, communit...@googlegroups.com
Volunteer opportunities below! Contact Dave Eckert, deck...@willamettewatershed.comif you can attend.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: David Eckert <dec...@willamettewatershed.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 17, 2021, 11:25 AM
Subject: Water Action Team updates and upcoming schedule
To: Dave Eckert <dec...@willamettewatershed.com>

Water Action Team –

Following is your weekly updates and upcoming weekly schedule of work parties and programs.

Updates of Recent Water Action Team Activities

  • Oak Creek Tributaries Field Surveys (Hydro-Explorers) – Eleven people (Paul, Ralph, Lyn, Mike, Lynne, Marsha, Tim, Sierra, Tony, William and me) have signed up so far to be an Oak Creek Hydro-Explorer of unnamed Oak Creek tributaries. The surveys are observational and do not require special skillsets and you will explore local places you have never seen before.  The surveys will be in February and March with 6 teams of 4 people. If you want me to send you maps of the tributaries and more advance information, just ask me for it.
  • Culvert Replacement Design – Thank you for the excellent feedback I received from over half of the 15 people who requested the concept design for review. I have extended the deadline for responses until Wednesday, at which time I have to move forward with the engineering firm.
  • Mill Race Amefa Site – Last week we did a lot of leaf mulching to expand the riparian vegetated and shaded creek buffer. The site is looking great. We also used my new super-duper broad fork for aerating the soil. The site is really morphing into a new habitat right before our eyes.
  • Dunawi Regeneration Site – We spread a lot of leaf mulch this past week around the new plants this past week. We also found new amphibians and snakes living the regenerating habitat. Every time we are out there people come off the trail to find out what we are doing and walk away quite excited.
  • Starker Arts Wetland Interpretive Displays – I highly recommend visiting the Starker Arts Park Wetland, immediately following a heavy rain. It works! It is essentially a LAKE with ducks (yea!), but unfortunately, nutria (BOO!). I still haven’t replaced the two vandalized displays. Still in my garage waiting for a more secure attachment system to the metal display pedestals.
  • Crescent Valley High School Native Arboretum – On Saturday, a handful of us spread a thick layer of leaves throughout the NW quadrant of the arboretum. It is really taking on the look of a native woodland.

Weekly Volunteer Work Schedule for Jan. 19—23

We will be laying down leaf much at the same three different sites. Please help. Let me know if you are coming out, so I can plan accordingly. Anyone who has a wheel barrow to bring along gets an extra wide, but covered smile.

  • Tuesday, Jan. 19 – 1:00-3:00 pm – Mill Race Amefa Site – 223 SE Bridgeway Ave.
  • Wednesday, Jan. 20 – 1:00-3:00 pm – Dunawi Regeneration Site at Bald Hill Natural Area
  • Saturday, Jan 23 – 1:30-3:30 pm – Crescent Valley High School Native Arboretum

Again, email me if can participate in any of these work parties. (masked, physically distanced, no Covid)

Have a meaningful Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and a happy inauguration day.

Dave Eckert

(541) 230-1237 (NO Texting)

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition Water Action Team

www. sustainablecorvallis.org/action-teams/water

dec...@willamettewatershed.com

I live within the traditional homeland of the Ampinefu Band of Kalapuya.  Following the Willamette Valley Treaty of 1855 (Kalapuya …Treaty), Kalapuya people were forcibly removed to reservations at either Grand Ronde or Siletz. Today, Kalapuya live either within the tribal reservations or in communities throughout the region. Many Kalapuya are active members of the sovereign nations of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde or the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. Kalapuya culture is alive.