3D Metadata Toolkit

Jasmine Clark

Jan 9, 2024, 4:05:59 PMJan 9
to Community Standards for 3D Data (CS3DP | LIB3DVR)

Hi everyone,

For the last few months, Krist Wyatt and I have been working to plan out the development of a toolkit built around the metadata chapter of the CS3DP book. While feedback has been positive, there has been confusion around how to apply the fields listed. Those more familiar with metadata can parse through the information, but there are plenty of readers who produce 3D data, but don’t have experience managing it beyond its creation. In response to this, we began to meet and discuss how we could provide easy-to-understand guidance regarding the selection of relevant metadata fields.

While this may seem straightforward, there are numerous disciplines, modalities, end-goals, variations in resources, as well as other factors that readers of the chapter must sift through to use it. We have laid out a basic outline for the structure of a toolkit that would serve this purpose. This toolkit would focus on guiding users through assessing their level of need, as well as the purpose of their data so that they can effectively select the fields that are relevant to their work.

At this stage, we want to solicit additional participation and feedback from other members of the community. This is especially important as we start thinking about the needs of different types of stakeholders. For that reason, we’d like to extend this open invitation for participation. If you are interested in joining us or learning more, please reach out to us (jasmine...@temple.edu and kwy...@ou.edu). We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Jasmine & Kristi