3D Studio MAX identification

Tyler Thorsted

Aug 10, 2022, 12:29:14 PM8/10/22
to Community Standards for 3D Data (CS3DP | LIB3DVR)
Hello,

I am a file format researcher for my institution and recently came across a few .MAX files which did not identify as the single identifier in PRONOM. fmt/978

The string used in identification of the format within the OLE container needs to be updated to support these other variations.

Much of the differences is based on version of the MAX file, the original writing version of 3D Studio MAX or 3DS Max.

I could expand the identification to be more precise in identifying the version of the MAX file. Current software will open older versions, but older versions can't open more recent files.

Would this be value or is simple identification as a MAX file enough?

Thanks.

Tyler Thorsted