Follow up on 3D Preservation Town Hall

Scates Kettler, Hannah [LIB]

Oct 18, 2022, 4:14:58 PM10/18/22
to Community Standards for 3D Data (CS3DP | LIB3DVR)

Hello

Here is the September meeting info and shared notes (including Jamboard links) in case you missed it.

Thank you for completing the Menti survey on 3D priorities.  We are seeing a few items bubble up to the top, even at this preliminary stage.

One of the points that was made during the meeting was related to clarification of the themes that are under discussion for prioritization. While we want to take some time during the next Town Hall to dig into these concepts and definitions, we wanted to give you all something to consider as a start.

Here is the clarification on those concepts (only from the coordinators’ perspectives, we can refine more as a group):

  • Metadata schema development
    • a general schema (similar in generality to Dublin Core) or a few new terms added to an existing schema to aid discovery / aggregation of 3D data
    • More specific metadata needs for modalities/disciplines
    • For more detail on our use of the term metadata see the glossary
  • Shared infrastructure development (e.g., shared repositories, metadata aggregators)
    • GBIF-like aggregation of 3D metadata
    • Development of a shared repository which can be used consortially
  • Common platforms / viewers / tools - development or modification
    • Using singular but common viewing platform for 3D
    • Developing software and tools which can be reused at local institutions (e.g. repository packages, automations for metadata generation or harvesting)
  • Expanding research / recommendations regarding rights (internationally)
    • Building on 3D Data Book chapter “Copyright and Legal Issues Surrounding 3D Data” to include non-US law and protocol considerations
  • Ethics
    • Expand to include CARE principles
    • Include a diversity of digital ethics experts
  • Working with software companies (e.g., facilitate embedded metadata)
    • Facilitate embedded metadata and maintenance of metadata with opens/saves
    • Record of processing actions taken on data
  • File format consolidation
    • Analyze existing formats and identify a limited recommended set
    • Standard adoption of preservation standard formats

The next town hall meeting will be held virtually on Zoom on November 10th at 10:30 Central Time (16:30 UTC) (meeting events and Zoom links are on the CS3DP calendar). In our time together we will talk about these concepts, or others that arise, with the goal to select the few that should be the focus of our next steps.

We have also proactively scheduled a follow up meeting on December 7th at 10:30 Central Time (16:30 UTC). This meeting will be to either continue the conversation about the aforementioned concepts or to begin the discussion about two follow up topics; how we would like to continue learning from each other (a virtual or physical meet-up), and what funding (if any) we should pursue as a group.

See yall then,

Hannah, Adam and Jennifer

Hannah Scates Kettler (she, her, hers)

hann...@iastate.edu