Fwd: [lib.dig.pres] Archival formats for 3D objects?

Susan Borda

Jun 24, 2024, 2:19:38 PMJun 24
to community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Scott Prater, rim...@illinois.edu
Hi CS3DP-
Do you have any advice for Scott?

Thanks,
susan

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Scott Prater <lib.di...@lists.btaa.org>
Date: Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 1:43 PM
Subject: [lib.dig.pres] Archival formats for 3D objects?
To: lib.di...@lists.btaa.org <lib.di...@lists.btaa.org>
Cc: Steven Dast <steve...@wisc.edu>, David Lee <davi...@wisc.edu>

Hello, everyone --

We have some 3D scanned objects incoming into our digital collections, whose files we can receive in either Wavefront (.obj) or Stereolithography (.stl) format, or both. The LoC preservation recommendations deem either of them as acceptable formats (there is no preferred format): https://www.loc.gov/preservation/resources/rfs/design3D.html#scanned-3d Both are plain-text formats.

Has anyone here worked with these 3D scan formats, either in an archival or display context?  Do you have a preference for one format over another, or any warnings or recommendations regarding them?  We did a few sample exports, and the sizes aren't terrible (~50 - 100MB per object), and looking at the sustainability factors, they both seem okay, not great – there seems to be more widespread application support for .stl files, though it seems to be less information-rich than .obj files.  On the other hand, there is no current published specification for .stl files, while there is a published spec for .obj.  Right now, I'm leaning towards the Wavefront .obj format for preservation purposes, and considering storing the .stl file, also, just in case.

thanks in advance,

-- Scott

--

Scott Prater

Digital Library Architect

UW Digital Collections Center

University of Wisconsin - Madison

--
Susan Borda
Digital Preservation Projects Manager

Vera Moitinho

Jun 24, 2024, 3:13:11 PMJun 24
to Susan Borda, community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Scott Prater, rim...@illinois.edu
Hi Susan,

Very briefly, perhaps something Scott would like to be aware of:
The STL file format describes the 3D geometry, but cannot include image/colored texture (no colored decorations, paintings, spots, etc.). It is often used for 3D printing too.
Whereas the OBJ format describes both 3D geometry and image/coloured texture, in separate linked files though.

Cheers,
Vera

--
Vera Moitinho de Almeida, PhD
Coordinator, Senior Researcher

Mark Hellar

Jun 24, 2024, 3:25:09 PMJun 24
to Vera Moitinho, Susan Borda, community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Scott Prater, rim...@illinois.edu
If you are looking for a file format suitable for 3D printing that can contain color metadata, have a look at 3mf https://hawkridgesys.com/blog/3mf-the-file-format-for-the-future-of-3d-printing

Ethan Gruber

Jun 24, 2024, 3:42:02 PMJun 24
to Mark Hellar, Vera Moitinho, Susan Borda, community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Scott Prater, rim...@illinois.edu
There's a lot of software support for both opening Wavefront obj in 3D modeling software and viewing the models in a wide variety of JavaScript libraries. For archival purposes, I think it's important to choose a format that is text based and not binary, if you are considering reuse and migration of files 20+ years down the road. I think PLY is also a viable archival format that has a lot of software support.

Both can point to texture files, so these are what I'd recommend for architectural models with textures and models generated by photogrammetry. These are probably the most common cultural heritage use cases, but maybe there's more demand for STL from science and engineering: laser scans, CT/MRI scans, etc.

Ethan

Deidre Brin

Jun 24, 2024, 3:48:42 PMJun 24
to Ethan Gruber, Mark Hellar, Vera Moitinho, Susan Borda, community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Scott Prater, rim...@illinois.edu
The ADS Guides to Good Practice section on file formats for 3D models might be helpful here, even if you're not archiving archaeological models.

Best,
Deidre
--
Deidre Brin (dee-dree)

Digital Archaeology Lab and Data Publication Director
Cotsen Institute of Archaeology
308 Charles E. Young Drive North
Box 951519, A322 Fowler
Los Angeles, Ca 90095

The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology at UCLA acknowledges the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (the Los Angeles basin and So. Channel Islands). As a land grant institution, we pay our respects to the Honuukvetam (Ancestors), ‘Ahiihirom (Elders), and ‘Eyoohiinkem (our relatives/relations) past, present, and emerging.

Kieron Niven

Jun 25, 2024, 4:43:22 AMJun 25
to community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for pointing to that, Deidre!

Just to add, we've been working with OBJ as a preferred format for a fair amount of time now with no real issues. As Vera pointed out, there are subtle differences between OBJ, PLY, and STL capabilities, and the OBJ format can be extended depending on the software. In a case like this I'd go with the depositor's preferred format if they're equally acceptable but, for preservation, obviously go for the plain text option over the binary where possible. The most common issue we come across is the broken link between the OBJ and related texture files (MTL and image e.g. JPG) where files have been renamed through another process, something to watch out for.

Cheers,

Kieron

Kieron Niven orcid.org/0000-0002-0537-9238

Digital Archivist: Data Standards

Archaeology Data Service

Department of Archaeology, University of York, The King’s Manor, York, YO1 7EP

Email Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy

Polys, Nicholas

Jun 25, 2024, 9:45:00 AMJun 25
to community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Kieron Niven
Hi all~

thanks for the discussion
I wanted to share a few data points that have not come up yet...

We have been digitizing our insect collection.
We went through many of these tradeoffs folks here have mentioned:
  • dead formats
  • no spec or standards
  • lossy data (no metadata)
  • lack of conformance in software tools

I will propose another perspective:
  • start from the information requirements you want to represent
  • use International Standards

For several reasons mentioned above, we prefer Extensible 3D (X3D) as an archival format.
It can be validated. It is and ISO/IEC standard. It can hold metadata as well as geospatial, volumetric, and interaction and animation information. ...

Being a Standard, carrying color, and being 3d printable... being extensible if you need a little or a lot of 3D capabilities...  this is why the NIH uses X3D as the enterprise backbone and deliver for their 3dprint.nih.gov.

Also having a process and community around the technology has made it durable and adaptable: 3D models from VRML (1998-present) and X3D still run and faster than ever across modern Caves, mobiles, headsets !

You can learn more about X3D here:

You can read a more scholarly treatment about the 3D insect project here:

Wen Nie Ng, Alex Kinnaman, and Nathan Hall. 2022. Levels of Representation and Data Infrastructures in Entomo-3D: An applied research approach to addressing metadata curation issues to support preservation and access of 3D data. In Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on 3D Web Technology (Web3D '22). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 6, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1145/3564533.3564573

and

Kinnaman A, Saverot M, Chen Y, Long K, Polys NF, Nesbit S, Stocker M, Xiao S, Hall N. 3D Preservation Models and Modalities: Advancing Research Reproducibility and Capacity at Virginia Tech. IniPRES 2021.

Generally we use scripting, metashape, blender, meshlab in production and then publish to the Web with X3DOM or X_ITE.

I am happy to continue the discussion and create a community of practice here!
Feel free to reach out if you have further questions!

with best regards,
 n_polys

--
Nicholas F. Polys, Ph.D.

Director of Visual Computing
Virginia Tech Research Computing

Affiliate Professor
Virginia Tech Department of Computer Science

Jun 25, 2024, 10:01:05 AMJun 25
to community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Kieron Niven

I should also mention that X3Dv4 can compose and present glTF models
 (in a similar way that webpages compose and present images, text)...

So, for example,

and

NB:
There are text AND binary encodings of both X3D and glTF

br,
_n

Murray, Kate

Jun 25, 2024, 10:26:21 AMJun 25
to Polys, Nicholas, community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Kieron Niven

Hi all,

Just chiming in from the rafters to say that I run the Sustainability of Digital Formats site at LC as well as co-organize the Library of Congress Recommended Formats Statement. We have entries for many of these 3D formats and are always happy to take comments and suggestions.

(oh hey – I just realized that those two related things are not labeled in the same way. Great! I’ll see about fixing that…)

Best from Kate

Kate Murray (she/her)

Sustainability of Digital Formats

FADGI AudioVisual Working Group

Recommended Formats Statement

Digital Collections Management and Services

Library of Congress

km...@loc.gov

Jul 1, 2024, 5:01:59 AMJul 1
to community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Polys, Nicholas, Kieron Niven, rim...@illinois.edu, scott....@wisc.edu, Murray, Kate, sbo...@umich.edu
To summarize file formats in this thread so far that have been mentioned as suitable/possible options:
  • OBJ
  • PLY
  • STL
  • X3D
  • X_ITE
  • glTF
  • 3MF
(Maybe I missed others?)

For some more context, a 2019 survey of cultural heritage organisations uploading 3D to Sketchfab surfaced that 62% of ~1000 organisations were uploading in OBJ format. Full results here, much discussion could be had around what these numbers mean, of course.

To return to Scott Prater's original conundrum (receiving files in OBJ or STL format), I think the answer may simply be 'both' (if you can), relying on the duplication of data to increase chances that files can be opened in the distant future.

As many people have mentioned so far, different file formats support different things and it should be understood that it is fairly trivial to between most formats mentioned using open source tools like Blender or Meshlab.

A decision is also affected by the expected audience(s) and use case(s) for the data, working back from there might help guide thinking.

Best regards to all,
Tom

Thomas Flynn
Digital Cultural Heritage Consulting

Susan Borda

Jul 2, 2024, 12:15:52 PMJul 2
to Thomas Flynn, community-standards-for-3...@googlegroups.com, Polys, Nicholas, Kieron Niven, rim...@illinois.edu, scott....@wisc.edu, Murray, Kate
Thanks everyone for the very informative responses!