Neighborhood Roots program - Please reply by Sunday 7/14

Annette Mills

Jul 12, 2024, 12:05:01 AM (4 days ago) Jul 12
to community-inclusion-corvall...@googlegroups.com, natural-area...@googlegroups.com, communit...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Community Inclusion and Natural Areas Action Teams,

I hope you’re all doing well and enjoying your summer. That includes managing to keep cool, speaking of which…

It’s time again for us to focus on the Neighborhood Roots program! Here’s an update:

·        I checked on the 20 trees that we planted in 2022 and 2023, and I found that all but one of the trees are still alive!

·        The Big Leaf Maples are growing the fastest and are generally doing the best. The Oregon White Oaks look healthy but are slow growers. The smaller trees (Vine Maples and Cascaras) have mixed success.

·        At my request, the Water Action Team has included 10 Big Leaf Maples, as well as Oregon White Oaks and Vine Maples, in their annual order from Sevenoaks Native Nursery, for our 2024 planting party this fall.

·        When the Natural Areas Action Team met in April, Molly suggested that we return to the Ryan and Thompson Street neighborhoods, and add Park Avenue to this year’s planting area. We will be reaching out in late July/early August to offer trees to neighbors in those areas.

Please let me know by Sunday, July 14, if you’d like to help with either or both of the following tasks this summer:

1.     Biking the area together on a pleasant (i.e., not hot!) evening to identify potential planting sites

2.     Walking in pairs on a pleasant evening to reach out to neighbors in the specified neighborhoods to offer free native trees

Once we know who on our teams are interested and available, we can figure out the specific dates/times.

Thanks!

Annette

Annette Mills, Facilitator/Director (she/her/hers)

Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

www.sustainablecorvallis.org

541-230-1237 (No texting, please)

ami...@willamettewatershed.com

I live within the traditional homeland of the Ampinefu Band of Kalapuya.  Following the Willamette Valley Treaty of 1855 (Kalapuya …Treaty), Kalapuya people were forcibly removed to reservations at either Grand Ronde or Siletz. Today, the Kalapuya live on tribal lands or tribal-ceded lands throughout the region. Many Kalapuya are active members of the sovereign nations of the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde or the Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians. Kalapuya culture is alive.