Group -running a spotus site- tasks

pkolevr

Nov 2, 2010, 8:06:52 PM11/2/10
to Community Funded Reporting
Hi from Greece, to everyone and especially David with whom I have
already been in contact!

I'm so excited with the idea of community funded reporting since I
discovered it! I have started planning the whole thing in my head so
that a "spot.us" like site be launched in Greece very soon ( I hope).

I need some help regarding some matters of organization. Someone who
is working already in a site like this, could give me some opinion
about how many people - besides administrator who is responsible for
technical subjects - would needed to start a group that will run the
whole project, and what would be the roles of each of them. I need
that info so I can start making contacts with people I think they
might be interested and in the same time start organizing the idea in
my head. Just let me know the minimum number of people that would do
the job in the beginning.

Thanks in advance

Panayiotis Kolevris
Athens, Greece

Jan Michael Ihl

Nov 3, 2010, 5:53:57 AM11/3/10
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com

Hi Panayiotis, hi other Europeans, hi everybody,

what about a Europe- or E.U.-centered community funded reporting site?

How many others are working or at least spending brain power on this in Europe?

Maybe we should talk to each other and join forces. In Germany there are some interested journalists I know of, myself I’m interested in the phenomenon for years and not only since we had David as a speaker at tazkongress 2009 there might be more journalists aware and in favor of community funding than we think. Time to act, I guess, and if there are enough people in other european or E.U. states I’d like to see this on a european scale at least eventually, maybe initially limited or focussed to E.U. member states for practical reasons(?) – it would still mean offering multi-language support from the beginning, but then we might get better funding from both european and national institutions, and there would be as well specific E.U. topics to cover and being funded which aren’t covered very well now, and almost not at all from a “european” perspective (as there are no european media outlets now). What would really matter if you look at topics like on a E.U. level: lobbyism, abuse of tax money, the crisis of the system, lack of trust in institutions (for a reason?), and on a between-memberstates level: distrust (see Germany/Greece), human rights violations (see Sarkozy/Roma), broken democracy (I’m thinking of Italy, but there are deficits everywhere around). All topics which need local examples and E.U. context to be told.

To start with a discussion, I’d like to hear from others, especially from Europeans: What do you think about a european approach?

And from people from elsewhere as well: What level do you think it’s worthwhile to focus a community funded reporting site?

Generally: Is it needed at all to set-up the platform with a certain focus on a more or less specific territorial level?
Spot.us is currently set up to center on urban regions, i.e. the local or regional level, but is already covering several regions (David, correct me if I’m wrong). And it’s english-only, thus still inaccessible content-wise for many people world-wide.

Or: Is it rather desirable to have one global “Spot.us” in several years, multi-lingual, with a global pitch database, which users (both pitchers and funders) can navigate through tags, through categories attached to regions and territorial levels (speak: show me global topics, show me european topics, show me my local topics for Berlin), and of course on a map?

Thanks in advance for your answers and comments.

Best regards
–Jan Michael

--

jan michael ihl · berlin · http://journalismus-recherche.de/

Joe Banks

Nov 3, 2010, 9:07:42 AM11/3/10
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com, glon...@rubinauts.com, fha...@infonium.ca
Hello Panayiotis:
Joe Banks from GoJournalism.ca here, from Ottawa, Canada. We started our spot.us-based site in September, with funding supplied by a research grant by my employer, Algonquin College (I am a journalism professor here). With support from an Ottawa-based firm Rubinauts (who I've copied this message to) we have successfully migrated spot.us software to our host server and have been slowly attracting story pitches since. I am the only person running GoJournalism, and even then, I've been doing it part-time as I teach and coordinate the journalism program here. However, I hope to land a sabbatical next year to operate GoJournalism full time.
Tech support is provided by Rubinauts. Their service is excellent and should you decide to move forward with your plans, but cannot find the technical expertise, I highly recommend retaining their services. You can contact Geoff Longman or Fran Hagen (fha...@infonium.ca) at Rubinauts to make inquiries. They can do all the work remotely.
Outside of our retaining Rubinauts to facilitate our startup, our costs are about $60 (Cdn.) for server storage. However, it will take some marketing on my part to begin the process of attracting donations to fund stories.
I hope this helps, and best of luck in Greece!
Cheers,
Joe Banks,
Director,
GoJournalism.ca,
Algonquin College,
Ontario, Canada.

Thanks in advance

Panayiotis Kolevris
Athens, Greece

David Cohn

Nov 3, 2010, 10:08:54 AM11/3/10
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com
re: Europeans there is a french Spot.Us site:  http://www.glifpix.fr/

There are two Italian: spotus.it and  youcapital.it

I've spoken with a LOT of Germans who are interested in it - but nobody has pulled the trigger.

Best
David

David Cohn
blog.digidave.org
http://twitter.com/digidave
(310) 365-3600

pkolevr

Nov 3, 2010, 4:20:57 PM11/3/10
to Community Funded Reporting
Thanks David, Jow, Jan

@David Thanks. I didn't know about them

@Jow: Since when is your site online?Does the public respond?

@Jan: It's an interesting aspect, but I think it will be a little hard
to be coordinated. But I'm open to any discussion about it

Panayiotis

On 3 Νοέ, 16:08, David Cohn <dco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> re: Europeans there is a french Spot.Us site: http://www.glifpix.fr/
>
> There are two Italian: spotus.it and youcapital.it
>
> I've spoken with a LOT of Germans who are interested in it - but nobody has
> pulled the trigger.
>
> Best
> David
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Jan Michael Ihl <j...@jmi.cc> wrote:
>

> > Hi Panayiotis, hi other Europeans, hi everybody,
>
> > what about a Europe- or E.U.-centered community funded reporting site?
>
> > How many others are working or at least spending brain power on this in
> > Europe?
>
> > Maybe we should talk to each other and join forces. In Germany there are
> > some interested journalists I know of, myself I'm interested in the
> > phenomenon for years and not only since we had David as a speaker at
> > tazkongress 2009 there might be more journalists aware and in favor of
> > community funding than we think. Time to act, I guess, and if there are
> > enough people in other european or E.U. states I'd like to see this on a
> > european scale at least eventually, maybe initially limited or focussed to
> > E.U. member states for practical reasons(?) - it would still mean offering
> > -Jan Michael
> > community-funded-re...@googlegroups.com<community-funded-re-porting%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/community-funded-reporting?hl=en.
>
> --
> David Cohn
> blog.digidave.orghttp://twitter.com/digidave(310) 365-3600begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (310) 365-3600 end_of_the_skype_highlighting- Απόκρυψη κειμένου σε παράθεση -
>
> - Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -

pkolevr

Nov 3, 2010, 4:22:39 PM11/3/10
to Community Funded Reporting
Sorry Joe, not ..Jow
> > > community-funded-re...@googlegroups.com<community-funded-re­-porting%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/community-funded-reporting?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > David Cohn
> > blog.digidave.orghttp://twitter.com/digidave(310begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (310) 365-3600      end_of_the_skype_highlightingbegin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (310) 365-3600      end_of_the_skype_highlighting- Απόκρυψη κειμένου σε παράθεση -) 365-3600
>
> > - Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -- Απόκρυψη κειμένου σε παράθεση -

Joe Banks

Nov 3, 2010, 4:52:15 PM11/3/10
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com
Hello Panayiotis:
Our site has been online since last August. There has been little public response so far but we haven't really been trying to promote it much so far until all the operating bugs are worked out. I've only been letting graduates of my journalism program know as it is really of more interest to young graduates looking to fund stories.
Best,
Joe

> > end_of_the_skype_highlightingbegin_of_the_skype_highlighting
> > (310) 365-3600      end_of_the_skype_highlighting- Απόκρυψη κειμένου
> > σε παράθεση -) 365-3600
>
> > - Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -- Απόκρυψη κειμένου σε παράθεση -
>
> - Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -

pkolevr

Nov 3, 2010, 5:05:25 PM11/3/10
to Community Funded Reporting
OK, Joe, I see... Your site is very nice and it much like original
spotus site. I like the design and I'm planning to keep it this way,
also for my own version.
We - as greek - we have in addition to face the translation problem
for the menus, graphics etc and I dont know how easy is this...Also,
what about "operation bugs" you mentioned? Do you mean code problems
or something else?

Thanks a lot
> > > ighlighting            (310) 365-3600begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (310) 365-3600      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
> > > end_of_the_skype_highlightingbegin_of_the_skype_highlighting
> > >(310) 365-3600begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (310) 365-3600      end_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting- Απόκρυψη κειμένου
> > > σε παράθεση -) 365-3600
>
> > > - Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -- Απόκρυψη κειμένου σε παράθεση -
>
> > - Εμφάνιση κειμένου σε παράθεση -
>
> --
>
> --- Απόκρυψη κειμένου σε παράθεση -

David Gross

Nov 3, 2010, 5:06:43 PM11/3/10
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com
I've just started using Google AdWords to promote a site of mine, and the response, while not overwhelming, is significant. Has anyone tried AdWords to attract support for the community news projects?
-David Gross

David Cohn

Nov 3, 2010, 7:02:45 PM11/3/10
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com
David
 I've tried it with little success - but I am also not an adwords expert. I never really took the time to think through the strategy. As a nonprofit we got free adwords from Google to spend every month - alas, I sorta just threw them up in the air and never really took the time to see what stuck and iterate off of that.

David

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM, David Gross <david...@me.com> wrote:
I've just started using Google AdWords to promote a site of mine, and the response, while not overwhelming, is significant. Has anyone tried AdWords to attract support for the community news projects?
-David Gross

David Cohn

Richard Graves

Nov 3, 2010, 11:08:16 PM11/3/10
to community-funded-reporting
I have done adwords buys before, mostly for campaigns before, if you want any help with it.
-Richard
---
Richard Graves
Director, Fired Up Media
t: 202-372-6756
t: @RichardGraves

firedupmedia.com - itsgettinghotinhere.org - grist.org

pkolevr

Dec 13, 2010, 7:57:39 AM12/13/10
to Community Funded Reporting
Hi David, hi community funded reporting funs from Greece again!

The things here due to financial crisis are far from pleasent - as you
might know - but we try to keep the faith strong..

...But we have good news!. We have started working for Greek Spotus
site! We are a group of 3 people that we try to work around with the
code and all the rest. Our first task is installing the code in a test
environment, and at the same time translating all the strings and
graphics in greek language. We hope that we'll be able pretty soon to
launch the site!

At this moment we might need a little programming help...We have stuck
in a point and we have published an issue here :
https://github.com/spot-us/spot-us/issues#issue/7. If Eric is
listening or someone else that could give a helping hand, we would
appreciate it very much. We need power from you so we can go on

Thanks

Panayotis Kolevris
Athens