Has The Time Come for Community Funded Reporting?

David Cohn

Jun 15, 2010, 1:34:53 PM6/15/10
to Community Funded Reporting
We are seeing more and more examples of "community funded reporting."

Here are some recent ones: http://blog.spot.us/2010/06/14/community-funded-reporting-its-time-has-come/

In this post I also try and give a rough definition of "community
funded reporting."

What do you think? Am I wrong? Am I right? How would you define
"community funded reporting" in opposition to something like micro-
payments?

Would love to hear stories from folks that are trying things with
success or failure.

Best
David Cohn

Joe Banks

Jun 15, 2010, 3:36:57 PM6/15/10
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com, Adam Jarvis
Hi David:
Here's a happy story regarding the public's interest in quality
journalism. This is kind of a reverse of your approach, where a private magazine looks for public dollars to fund three projects at $5,000 each:

They just surpassed its fundraising goal.

http://thetyee.ca/Tyeenews/2010/06/14/YouDidIt/?utm_source=mondayheadlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=140610

As for the Canadian version of Spot.Us, it will be called Gojournalism.ca and will be launched in July. We will be using your template and have engaged a Ruby developer to complete the transformation.
Cheers,
Joe

Best
David Cohn