Hello folks! ...and a Ruby/Drupal question

Nathan Moore

Jul 9, 2009, 4:02:45 PM7/9/09
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Nathan Moore here, the General Administrator at Free Speech Radio News.

Just joined this Google group to look at some details of rolling out the Spot.Us model as a component of FSRN's operations.  We're looking at this as a way to solicit donations for and increase the presence of some of our reporting that is very rare in the U.S. -- particularly our on-the-ground reporters in Pakistan, Gaza, Iran, etc.

Many thanks to David for pointing me to http://www.digidave.org/2009/03/how-to-build-your-own-community-funded-reporting-site.html

One question strikes me immediately -- has anyone tried to roll out the Spot.Us code in a Drupal site?  That is, can the Ruby On Rails code somehow be integrated with a drupal environment?  FSRN's site is built on drupal, which makes a lot of sense for us.  But I'm not sure if/how drupal and RoR work together or talk to each other.

I suppose this might also be a good question for our website administrator, but I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with it.

Thanks much!

~Nathan

--
Nathan Moore
General Administrator

David Cohn

Aug 24, 2009, 2:32:49 PM8/24/09
to Community Funded Reporting
Nathan
This is a very good question.

The quick answer is: Yes - they can work together, but not without a
lot of pushing and pulling. It is less than ideal and would require
somebody that really knows their databases and general programming
languages (php and ruby).

Just to let folks know: Spot.Us is going to start its next
development phase soon (Septemberish) and the site will begin to
improve again so that it will be more functional for people and easier
to install.

Best
David

On Jul 9, 4:02 pm, Nathan Moore <thetallnat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Nathan Moore here, the General Administrator at Free Speech Radio News.
>
> Just joined this Google group to look at some details of rolling out the
> Spot.Us model as a component of FSRN's operations.  We're looking at this as
> a way to solicit donations for and increase the presence of some of our
> reporting that is very rare in the U.S. -- particularly our on-the-ground
> reporters in Pakistan, Gaza, Iran, etc.
>
> Many thanks to David for pointing me tohttp://www.digidave.org/2009/03/how-to-build-your-own-community-funde...

Nathan Moore

Aug 24, 2009, 2:44:04 PM8/24/09
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com
Good  news about the upgrade, David.  Thanks!

After asking around, the way FSRN is likely to deploy spot.us is on a subdomain (e.g. spotus.fsrn.org or some such name) that's tweaked with graphics and colors to vaguely resemble our front page.

Take care.

~Nathan
phone: (608) 554-0225
fax: (419) 794-6838