Your project in Sydney

Kara Andrade

Jun 25, 2009, 2:10:31 AM6/25/09
to community-funded-reporting digest subscribers
Jillian,

Thank you for posting to our community funded journalism group! We
appreciate the work you're doing and would like to help you with some of the
questions you have regarding best practices we're developing with
implementing our model. Perhaps they might be helpful to you.

Please take a look at our About page which has some great info:
http://spot.us/pages/about.

Regarding your points about editors: I promise the good editors are still
there and have not disappeared, you just going to need to make them come out
of the woodwork by providing opportunities for them to participate in good
investigative pieces they can help to factcheck or edit.

Regarding your point about establishing what a fair price for journalism is
today, here is how we price our work:

http://spot.us/pages/reporter_agreement

It will take a few stories to get a sense of how your local market works and
how you "broker" relationships for timely, local and relevant stories.

Hope this helps! We would also be happy to join you on a Skype call!

Regards!

Kara

> == 1 of 1 ==
> Date: Sun, Jun 21 2009 4:35 am
> From: Jillian
>

> My name is Jillian Burt and I'm at the very beginning of preparing to
> set up a Spot.us project in Sydney.
>
> I was in Los Angeles for 11 years and been back in Australia for a few
> years. The media industry has collapsed to the point where it's not
> possible to gain any meaningful work. The saddest thing is the
> disappearance of great editors.
>
> There seem to be plenty of opportunities, mostly in the area of arts,
> science and design journalism. To augment the resources of small
> journals and to create booklet length projects for sale in museum and
> gallery shops.
>
> I'm about to embark on a few test projects to try and establish what a
> fair price for journalism is today.
>
> I'll keep posting about my progress. It would be great to get some
> input and advice.

> community-funded-re...@googlegroups.com
>
> To change the way you get mail from this group, visit:
> http://groups.google.com/group/community-funded-reporting/subscribe?hl=en
>
> To report abuse, send email explaining the problem to ab...@googlegroups.com

> Google Groups: http://groups.google.com/?hl=en

Jillian Burt

Jun 25, 2009, 9:05:04 PM6/25/09
to community-fun...@googlegroups.com
Kara

Thank you. These links are very helpful.

I'm working on a project that I'll have more news about next week. And I'll post here when I have more information.

regards

Jillian