Re: Fw: [Cit-J] Deadline: National Conf for Media Reform

Doug Greer

Sep 7, 2010, 4:25:03 PM9/7/10
to fcm-an...@googlegroups.com, community-fun...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom,

I suggested that they invite David Cohn of http://Spot.Us/.  Here is a video: Interview of David Cohn of Spot.us

I am fascinated by the open-source community model and positive crowd-sourcing.  I think the lessons learned while creating those communities can be used to create community media models. As a professional open-source programmer, I have witnessed the huge growth of open-source programming in almost every industry.  A non-technical summary of this can be seen in the documentary: Revolution OS.  I recommend the podcast: FLOSS Weekly for programmers.

The economics of open-source programming is a lot different from proprietary-source programming.  All successful open-source projects seem to have a strong community aspect to them.  These projects live or die based on how useful they are to the end-user communities.  Almost none of them have any marketing budget and (I think) most survive entirely on donations.  Examples include: Apache, Linux, the base libraries of Mac OS X, PHP, Perl, Python, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and many more.

Open-source programming communities collaborate almost entirely on-line and have built the foundations of almost all the social networking technology.  Local journalism communities can use the strengths of on-line collaboration along with periodic local meetings.  People within the local communities can perform the tasks which are most effectively done face-to-face and work with journalism communities in other parts of the country to edit stories and perform other tasks which don't require face-to-face interaction.

For a solid example, listen to the interview of David Cohn, above.  He noted that a journalist organization in Japan has used the Spot.Us code base to run their own community-funded journalism effort.

Building communities from the bottom-up should lead to the most solid foundations.

Sincerely,
Doug Greer