Fwd: The importance of connection, reflection and action.

Michael Fahy

Nov 16, 2016, 2:52:32 PM11/16/16
to community-coo...@googlegroups.com, car...@century.net
Hey Folks! I want to pass this info out to anyone interested in perhaps starting a NWEI discussion group this winter. Mcminnvile has done these in the past and I personally have met and made some close friends within this caring community. I would be willing to help organize this in the coming year so let me know who's interested. Thanks, Mike Fahy 503 434 4462.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David, Northwest Earth Institute" <executiv...@nwei.org>
Date: November 15, 2016 at 1:15:41 PM PST
To: <mf...@linfield.edu>
Subject: The importance of connection, reflection and action.

Dear Mike,
When the world changes around us, especially unexpectedly, we are faced with so many questions. Some of us may wonder what this means for ourselves, our family, our community, our faith, and our work. Some of us may spiral into a whole spectrum of emotional responses – from numbness and disbelief to heartbreak and anger. Some might become absorbed in the media or hyper-conscious of how others around us are responding.
Like most of the world, the NWEI staff, board of directors, and community are going through this process.
This week has been a profound reminder of how complex our world is. We’ve been reflecting on how NWEI’s values offer up an intentional process designed to help communities facilitate and navigate change. We have read deeply heartfelt and eloquent responses from our friends in organizations around the country. To complement their messages, this actionable list of ways to cope in these times from our friends at YES! Magazine, and NWEI staff member Lacy Cagle's blog post last week on the power of community, here are some simple ways we invite you to bring our model for change into your own lives. We encourage you to take time to connect, reflect and act.

Connect with… Self. Family and friends. Strangers. Neighbors. Nature.

Reflect on… Values. Purpose. Assumptions. Blind spots. Relationships. The interconnected systems at play in our world.

Act by… Standing with others. Interrupting discrimination. Supporting healing in those around us. Writing to decision makers. Convening our communities. Donating to causes we believe in. Seeking out deeper understanding. Being the change we wish to see in the world.

Connecting, reflecting, and acting is also a process for exploring differences by creating safety and building trust. It’s a somewhat radical response to break down walls and welcome all people into the circle who are willing to respectfully share their story. On the road ahead, we invite you to continue this critical work with us. It is challenging and deeply rewarding. We believe it is where and how true transformation can happen.

For nearly 24 years now, we have been helping you to connect with the people in your community to take action on the issues that matter. If you’re looking for a way to take action, our Seeing Systems: Peace, Justice and Sustainability discussion course is one tool that we would encourage you to consider.

In times of disillusionment, hope can be tough to find. Some nights may feel darker and longer than others. The morning still comes, and with it, opportunity. We look forward to greeting the morning with you and discovering new ways to create a world that is sustainable, equitable, and just.

With Love,
David and the NWEI Team
Looking for Tools to Organize Your Community? Join Us For Our Next Webinar This Thursday.
We'll be hosting our next webinar on how to use NWEI programs to engage your community in the process of connecting, reflecting and acting this Thursday, November 17th, at 10am PST. Click here for more details and registration information.
We'd love to hear from you! Connect with us at 503-227-2807 or con...@nwei.org

Share this email:
Manage your preferences | Opt out using TrueRemove
View this email online.
107 SE Washington Street, Suite 240
Portland, OR | 97214 US
This email was sent to mf...@linfield.edu.
To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.

Linda Grove

Nov 16, 2016, 5:21:44 PM11/16/16
to <community-cooperative-farms@googlegroups.com> Farm, Linda Grove
FYI...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Liz Marlia-Stein <lizmarl...@gmail.com>
Date: November 16, 2016 at 1:17:47 PM PST
To: Community Rights <cr...@googlegroups.com>

Yes, I am planning on hosting some classes. We are having an "Our Revolution" meeting tonight at my place, 7pm, to discuss this plus other ideas & activities, such as a fundraiser for Standing Rock.

Liz
971-241-1258

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.
Mother Teresa

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Linda Grove <lgr...@onlinenw.com> wrote:
FYI...

Begin forwarded message:

Michael Fahy

Nov 16, 2016, 6:23:11 PM11/16/16
to community-coo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Linda. I may check this out but to be honest I'm not interested in another political struggle. I hope that people would like to engage in a rational discussion.  We'll see...

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to community-cooperati...@googlegroups.com.

Linda Grove

Nov 16, 2016, 6:38:32 PM11/16/16
to <community-cooperative-farms@googlegroups.com> Farm, Linda Grove
I’m with you!   Good luck!   L

PS  How was the Tim Connell gig?  I had a great time with Spencer and Rains!