System.platform

Sam l'Ecuyer

Mar 19, 2012, 4:50:33 PM3/19/12
to CommonJS
For the next version of the System spec (1.1?), I propose to clear up
some of the confusion around the 'platform' member with the following:

The 'system' module MUST export:
'platform' - a String or String-coercible object representing the
vendor-specific implementation of the CommonJS spec (narwhal, v8cgi,
etc). If 'platform' is an object, it MAY export 'name' and 'version'
as strings. UNSPECIFIED: How much information is included in the
String-coercion of a 'platform' object.

'os' - a String or String-coercible object representing the operating
system the 'platform' is running on. This MUST NOT exist in a sandbox
environment. If 'os' is an object, it MAY export 'name', 'version',
and 'hardware' as strings. 'hardware' should be an identifier of the
cpu architecture (i386, x64, etc) UNSPECIFIED: How much information is
included in the String-coercion of a 'os' object.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Christoph Dorn

Mar 21, 2012, 5:07:51 AM3/21/12
to comm...@googlegroups.com
Sam l'Ecuyer
19 March, 2012 1:50 PM

'os' - a String or String-coercible object representing the operating
system the 'platform' is running on. This MUST NOT exist in a sandbox
environment. If 'os' is an object, it MAY export 'name', 'version',
What is your definition of a "sandbox environment"?

Why must it not exist in a sandbox environment?

Christoph

Kris Kowal

Mar 21, 2012, 1:26:44 PM3/21/12
to comm...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Christoph Dorn <chri...@christophdorn.com> wrote:
What is your definition of a "sandbox environment"?
Why must it not exist in a sandbox environment?

These are requirements that exist in the version I wrote. By "sandbox" I mean an environment like SES or Caja. It may be okay to relax this requirement, but I was being cautious. Security folks (among whom I do not count myself) are very careful about what information they implicitly provide to suspicious programs.

Kris Kowal