Moving Out

Kris Kowal

Jun 1, 2011, 9:02:24 PM6/1/11
to CommonJS
I'm moving my work on specifications off of the CommonJS wiki and into
a Github repository, which I'm tentatively calling UncommonJS. It's
my thought that Github will provide a better platform for distributed
consensus with strongly opinionated design through forking and
merging, using the master branch to reflect each of our own opinions
and interests. To that end, I've copied the specifications I've been
tracking into separate branches and directories, and updated them:

* modules
* packages
* promises

https://github.com/kriskowal/uncommonjs

These specifications reflect how I think we should move forward. It
also means that I am not waiting for unanimous consensus here to move
forward. Unanimous consensus has become impractical and is no longer
useful for a few reasons. Particularly, there are too many of us and
the incentives for agreement are no longer strong enough to compel us
to agree. Also, while we at one time had a quorum of people all
interested in rebuilding their systems from the ground up to be
interoperable, the important platforms that emerged are not interested
in participating here, and those that are are no longer willing to
start over from scratch.

I make these observations calmly and without frustration. New times
call for new methods. This is still a great place to discuss, but it
is no longer useful for us to discuss in the context of driving
consensus.

Particularly, I've updated the modules specification, which we've been
unable to update for over a year because it's such a hot topic. It
includes a simple change to add support for "define" boilerplate and
what conditions its necessary. I've also unified all of the promises
proposals. On the ground, there has been quite a bit of consensus
there, though it will never emerge from a vote. I intend to build on
what I feel to be consensus already established.

Thanks,
Kris Kowal

Mikeal Rogers

Jun 1, 2011, 9:04:10 PM6/1/11
to comm...@googlegroups.com
I love you Kris :)

Kevin Dangoor

Jun 1, 2011, 9:08:46 PM6/1/11
to comm...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Kris Kowal <kris....@cixar.com> wrote:
[...]

+1

I have no idea if this is the "right" solution, but it is certainly better.

Kevin

--
Kevin Dangoor

work: http://mozilla.com/
email: k...@blazingthings.com
blog: http://www.BlueSkyOnMars.com

Marco Rogers

Jun 1, 2011, 9:50:29 PM6/1/11
to comm...@googlegroups.com
I had a really long reply on the "relevancy" thread. Then I abandoned it because it I didn't think it would matter. This, however, does matter. And I think it's an awesome move. I hope others follow suite and I'll be excited to see what the future holds.

github watch!!

Cheers
:Marco

Hannes Wallnoefer

Jun 2, 2011, 2:37:25 AM6/2/11
to comm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kris,

the bus has been stuck in the mud for too long, time to move on by
other means. I also love the name!

Hannes

2011/6/2 Kris Kowal <kris....@cixar.com>:

Mário Valente

Jun 2, 2011, 11:54:44 AM6/2/11
to comm...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 02:02, Kris Kowal <kris....@cixar.com> wrote:
I'm moving my work on specifications off of the CommonJS wiki and into
a Github repository, which I'm tentatively calling UncommonJS.  It's

forward.  Unanimous consensus has become impractical and is no longer

useful for a few reasons.  Particularly, there are too many of us and

  +1

  Lets see if its still on time to catch up with NodeJS adoption. And please
 lets not make everything asynchronous.

  -- MV