Call for Volunteers: Public Hours, Sunday, 5/29 & Upcoming Events

2 vues

Ian Ogden

non lue,
26 mai 2022, 19:27:4026/05/2022
à commo...@googlegroups.com
Merry Thursday, everyone.

A quick prefacing note that this month's Bike-In is scheduled for tomorrow (Friday, 5/27), rolling as usual from Kerrytown at 7:15 PM. This month's cruise will head to the Peony Garden at the Arb, ultimately landing at Washtenaw Dairy.
PPP.jpg
----

CC's menu of upcoming events and volunteer opportunities is listed below for your delectation -

I. SUNDAY, 5/29: Public Hours
11 AM-3 PM, 416 W Huron

It appears we have baseline support to be open this Sunday and so Public Hours are on as usual. As always, please sign up to lend a hand if you'll be around -

----

II. MONDAY, 6/6: A2Zero Cargo Bike Rally
6-9 PM, Ann Arbor Farmers Market (Kerrytown (Event Details)

As part of A2Zero week, all are invited to embrace their utilitarian side and join a cargo bike rally on Monday, June 6 at the Farmers Market in Kerrytown. CC will be onsite with a mobile pop-up providing mechanical support and to help with any other issues folks may have (cargo bike or not).

Please come by to share how you move people and/or stuff by bike, or if you're interested in this sort of thing, drop in to scope out folks' rigs, test some bikes and otherwise hang out on a Monday evening.

Volunteers Signup, Cargo Bike Rally:
----

III. FRIDAY, 6/10: Mayor's Green Fair
6-9 PM, Downtown Ann Arbor (specific site TBD; Event Details)

We'll be tabling and working on bicycles among, for, and with members of the public the evening of Friday, 6/10 in downtown. There's often a bit of downtime where volunteers are free to check out the other booths and see who is making moves across the many domains of sustainability in the Ann Arbor area.

Volunteer Signup, 2022 Mayor's Green Fair
----

III. SATURDAY, 6/11: Zero Waste Extravaganza @ Top of the Park
4-7:30 PM, Top of the Park (Near Burton Tower; Event Details)

To round out CC's involvement in A2Zero Week (6/5-6/11), our friends at Live Zero Waste are hosting a Zero Waste Extravaganza at Top of the Park on Saturday, 6/11. We'll wheel out our mobile operations in support and will happily take the opportunity to chat with weary passersby about the merits of running five-year old inner-tubes peppered with vulcanized patches (among other ways using and maintaining a bicycle can help with Reduction and Reuse).

Volunteer Signup, Zero Waste Extravaganza
----

For those who've made it this far: A random bit of bicycle history -

In the late 70s, Campagnolo designed a system to speed up wheel changes. A little lever on the rear downtube shifter allowed the chain to shift past the outermost cog in the rear and onto a crescent-shaped chain rest bolted to the inside of the dropout (theoretically allowing for quick removal and replacement of the wheel). The system was called Portacatena and never gained much traction -

Campagnolo Portacatena.jpg

Have a weekend, if you can.

Ian O.
Répondre à tous