Call for Volunteers: Public Hours / Open Shop - Sunday, 11/27/2022

Ian Ogden

Nov 25, 2022, 2:49:28 PM11/25/22
to commo...@googlegroups.com
Afternoon, everyone.

I. SUNDAY, 11/27: Public Hours / Open Shop
11 AM-3 PM, 416 W Huron

If you'd like to spend some time working with the public on their bikes on Sunday, please sign up via the usual method. I myself am likely unavailable tomorrow, so please feel free to reorganize any carefully-shelved items as you see fit.

----

II. WINTER 2022-23: Holiday Schedule, Public Hours
If we have the volunteer-power to do so and barring a significant flare-up in COVID cases, we're planning to be open to the public each Sunday through the winter, with two exceptions. Common Cycle will not be hosting public hours on:
  • Sunday, 12//25/2022, nor
  • Sunday, 1/1/2023
As such, the last Public Hours session for the year will be on Sunday, 12/18, and the first of 2023 will be on 1/8/2023. Otherwise, hope to see you around to work on an winter project and/or keep yourself rolling via the (temperature controlled!) CC workspace.
----

III. WINTER 2022-23 #2: Winter Workshops
Various Dates, 6:30-8:30 PM, 416 W Huron

ommon Cycle - Winter Workshop Series 2022-23.jpg

We're running a series of workshops this winter focused on hands-on learning opportunities for seasonally relevant skills and maintenance basics. Workshops will run from 6:30-8:30 roughly monthly - see dates above or below. No sign-up is needed, but feel free to reach out to Nate (na...@commoncycle.org) if there is something specific you'd like to learn.

Monday, December 5th: Winter Commuting and Visibility (FB Event)
Monday, January 30: Derailleur & Derailling Basics (FB Event)
Monday, February 27: Brakes & Braking Basics (FB Event)

I'd like me to host a make-your-own mudflap workshop, but we'll see if I can be convinced. A good front mudflap is quite luxurious when the roads are wet / slushy.
----

IV. INFRASTRUCTURE BONUS: A2-Fix-It
For those unfamiliar or who haven't had occasion to use it, consider bookmarking the A2-Fix-It reporting tool. It does require an account, but is a simple way to report potholes or hazards to roadway users (among other things). In my experience, the city has been quite responsive.

----

Cheers,
Ian