Ideas for Projects for CWL Outreachy Interns?

Sarah Wait Zaranek

Sep 9, 2022, 10:01:56 AM9/9/22
to common-workf...@googlegroups.com, Peter Amstutz

Crossposted here: https://cwl.discourse.group/t/outreachy-intern-cwl-projects-have-ideas/646

Hello CWL-folks,

We have funding for up to 4 Outreachy interns (https://www.outreachy.org/)  this cycle to work on CWL related topics.  This is funded through the CZI EOSS program (https://chanzuckerberg.com/eoss/).

If you are interested in mentoring an intern to work on a CWL or related project, please let us know here or via email (peter....@curii.com). We need to finalize the projects by September 23rd (to sign up mentors) so please let us know ASAP.

Details:

The internship will run from December 5, 2022 to March 3, 2023 with an open contribution period from Oct. 1, 2022 to Oct. 31, 2022.  If you can’t this round, we will have funding for the next round as well (May 2023 to late August 2023

The criteria are it is a general CWL project that will either (1) help the CWL project or community-at-large and not focus solely on a single implementation of CWL (2) well-scoped and appropriate for a 3 month project and (3) you can provide mentorship for the internship.

Outreachy is an international project, our previous interns have lived in Sri Lanka and Nigeria. Please consider that you might be supporting mentees working in those time zones before agreeing to mentor.

Previous interns have worked on CWL viewer (https://github.com/common-workflow-language/cwlviewer) and the CWL-WDL translator (https://github.com/common-workflow-lab/wdl-cwl-translator).

Thank you,
Peter A & Sarah WZ