421a gets too hot to handle; New Seminar to be offered on my Book: "America is Not Broke!"

Scott Baker

May 30, 2015, 5:01:27 AM5/30/15
to Scott Baker
Hello Common Groundlings (and friends):

There are few hotter Land topics in NYC right now than the 421-a program.  See OpEdNews Quicklink: Why Billionaires Don't Pay Property Taxes in New York

image

OpEdNews Quicklink: Why Billionaires Don't Pay Property ...
"It's the extreme end game of a tax code that shifts the burden from owners to renters, and from the wealthy to the poor." One of the best articles I've read on how...
Preview by Yahoo

And people are starting to look at a post-421a future:

image

This is what happens when a tax exemption beneficial to ...
The mayor is calling for condos to no longer be eligible for the 421-a tax exemption.
Preview by Yahoo

This giveaway to the wealthy should never have been allowed in the first place. The secret to providing for decent and affordable housing to not to encourage more expensive, and frequently unoccupied, ultra-lux condos, but to tax the land high enough to discourage hoarding and untax the buildings enough to encourage building instead.  It was true in Henry George's time, and remains so today.

I'll be giving a one-night seminar for the Henry George School on the topics in my new book, "America is Not Broke! Four Multi-Trillion Dollar Paths to a Thriving Economy" plus some local flavor, on June 23 at the Ecuadorian Consulate.  I'd be delighted if you came.  I'll also talk about Georgism  - chapter 2 - as well as related developments here in the Big Apple.  We'll also discuss monetary reform and Public Banking and more!  It will be a fast-paced fact-filled evening!

And I'll be offering copies of my book for $15, or half off the list price, and that's before S/H!  You won't find a better deal anywhere else.  You can find out more about the book here: https://tayen-lane.squarespace.com/america-is-not-broke and even peek inside it on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1zZQKks

Information about the class

Instructor: Scott Baker Date: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Location: 800 2nd Avenue, Suite 600, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10017 (between 42nd and 43rd st. – middle of block, next to UN Plaza Pharmacy)
*Photo ID required for access.

RSVP and see seminar details on the Henry George School website: http://hgsss.org/america-is-not-broke/

Time: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Location: (See map below)
800 2nd Avenue, Suite 600, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10017
(between 42nd and 43rd st. – middle of block, next to UN Plaza Pharmacy)
*Photo ID required for access.

Opednews Editor-in-Chief Rob Kall interviewed me on my book: OpEdNews Podcast: America Is NOT Broke: Interview with Scott Baker

image

OpEdNews Podcast: America Is NOT Broke: Interview wit...
Scott Baker is the author of a new book, America Is Not Broke-- Four Multi-trillion Dollar Paths to a Thriving America. We talk about those options.
Preview by Yahoo

Until next time, happy Landings....

Video/Radio/TV Appearances & Slideshows here:
http://newthinking.blogspot.com/

Petitions:
-- Commemorate President Lincoln's Assassination with 1 Billion Debt-Free Lincoln $5 Bills
-- Replace Property Tax with Ground Rent in New York State
-- Assess NYC buildings using comparative properties
-- California Dreaming: Set up a State Bank with abundant CAFR funds
-- Complete the East Side Manhattan Greenway from 38-61 Streets and save bikers, help the environment, and clear up traffic
-- Tax Vacant & Unused Land to Return its value to the Community
-- Close New York State's budget Gap with money from its own agencies by setting up a State Bank

-- Produce debt-free United States Notes
-- Reclassify the FED's account, from private to public