RE: CDMA C++ [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

MANNICKE, David

Aug 30, 2012, 11:30:24 PM8/30/12
to common-d...@googlegroups.com

Hello C++ Friends,

I found an article on “The Code Project” which talks about “HowTo: Export C++ classes from a DLL” http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/28969/HowTo-Export-C-classes-from-a-DLL

Please let me know when (and where) you would like to discuss the C++ implementation of CDMA.

Best Regards,

David

The Bragg Institute, Building 87

Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation

Locked Bag 2001 Kirrawee DC NSW 2232 Australia

T: +61 (2) 9717 7223

E: david.m...@ansto.gov.au

POIRIER Stephane

Sep 3, 2012, 10:56:59 AM9/3/12
to common-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I propose to discuss on the C++ implementation when we will meet at NOBUGS, where we will discuss also about the Eugen’s suggestions.

In the mean time we can of course continue exchanging ideas on this mailing list.

The article from “The code project” is indeed very interesting.

Nevertheless, one characteristic of open source project is to let the ability to everyone to compile the source code. I mean we can (and we will) provide binaries for common plate-forms with commonest compilers (gcc on linux, msvc 10/11 on windows). I guess it will match most users’ needs. But there is still the possibility to compile the code with other tools.

As the CDMA C++ implementation widely uses the YAT library, and exposes some objects derived from that library. I'm afraid that re-factoring the CDMA core library interface implies re-factoring the YAT interface because it’s also a C++ library. Indeed that latter may throw exceptions directly to the client application. Unfortunately we can't modify the YAT interface.

One can provide an alternative, COM-based wrapper interface, for Windows users. We could store it in a new section named 'utilities' (or another name) in the SVN repository.

We will discuss about this possibility and the Mantid integration at NOBUGS.

Best Regards,

Stéphane