Get total number of unique URLs?

Ernest Mugo

Jun 15, 2021, 9:16:47 AM6/15/21
to Common Crawl
Hi!

Is it possible to get the total number of unique URLs across all crawls since 2008? e.g using Athena e.t.c

All suggestions are welcome!

Sebastian Nagel

Jun 15, 2021, 9:58:42 AM6/15/21
to common...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ernest,

you can get a close approximation using Hyperloglog cardinality estimates.

- using Athena/Presto I've tried this only for one TLD and one year of data, see
https://github.com/commoncrawl/cc-notebooks/blob/master/cc-index-table/cc-main-2013-2019-metrics.ipynb

- the cc-crawl-statistics also include HLL sketches. Merging all sketches from 2008 until CC-MAIN-2021-21
results in 57 billion unique URLs, see figure "crawl size cumulative" on
https://commoncrawl.github.io/cc-crawl-statistics/plots/crawlsize

Note: the news data set isn't included in this number but would not change the picture significantly.

Let me know if you need more information!

Best,
Sebastian
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/common-crawl/69fc17ea-ac84-4b0f-a841-4c07cd50b365n%40googlegroups.com