Time aware web-graphs

Animesh Baranawal

Jun 1, 2021, 4:28:47 AM6/1/21
to Common Crawl

WebUK has a time-aware union graph created by merging the individual 12 monthly snapshots (http://law.di.unimi.it/webdata/uk-union-2006-06-2007-05/).

Is there any similar time-aware union graph available from the temporal aggregation of individual host-level (or domain-level) web graphs?

Thanks and regards,
Animesh

Sebastian Nagel

Jun 1, 2021, 5:55:57 AM6/1/21
to common...@googlegroups.com
Hi Animesh,

interesting idea. Thanks!

There is no aggregated graph available, except for the aggregations covering 3 monthly crawls.
But these do not mark in which of the 3 crawls a node/edge was seen.

If you (or anybody else) are interested to create an aggregated graph - we kept the intermediate data,
used to create the 3-monthly aggregations, the input of hostlinks_to_graph.py [1,2]:
- about 30 GiB per monthly crawl
- in multiple split (so there are duplicated edges if splits are combined)
- Parquet files with two columns
<source_host,target_host>
- host names in reverse domain name notation

The data is kept on a private bucket but we are happy to share it, in case you are interested
to build the aggregated host-level graph over 12 month (or even a longer interval).

The task would be to add the bit vector marking to in crawl every node/edge was seen.

I'd recommend to build the domain-level graph from the host-level graph - we use the public
section of the public suffix list [3] to get the registered domain for a host name. The list
changes over time, so it's better to pick a version from [4] which fits the time span of the
aggregation.

Recently, the webgraph libraries have been integrated into JGraphT [5], but unfortunately not
yet into the JGraphT Python bindings [6]. This might simplify the process of the webgraph
constructions in the future.

Best,
Sebastian

[1] https://github.com/commoncrawl/cc-pyspark/blob/master/hostlinks_to_graph.py