Rally & March to End the War in Afghanistan, Oct. 7, 3:00 pm

joe iosbaker

Oct 1, 2012, 5:09:55 PM10/1/12
to defend-d...@googlegroups.com, committee-against-politi...@googlegroups.com
Friends -

Join with:  Committee Against Political Repression, 8th Day Center for Justice, Gay Liberation Network, American Friends Service Committee, Oak Park Coalition for Truth & Justice, Chicago Area Peace Action

on the 11th anniversary of the Afghan War

Speakers to include:

Buddy Bell, Voices for Creative Non Violence
Hatem Abudayyeh, Committee Against Political Repression
Malik Mujahid, Muslim Peace Coalition
Sarah Chambers, Chicago Teachers Union

End the War in Afghanistan
No New Wars!
Stop FBI Repression of Anti-War Activists
Money for Jobs , Education and Health Care, NOT FOR WAR

Sunday, October 7th
3:00 pm
Tribune Tower/Pioneer Court, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago

4:00 pm March to Obama campaign headquarters and Boeing corporate headquarters

WE DO NOT FORGET

90,000 US soldiers are still in Afghanistan.  50,000 or more Afghan lives have been lost, and the bloodshed continues.

The war in Afghanistan has become an afterthought with our presidential candidates and in the mainstream media. The only mention of Afghanistan is the fact that Osama bin Laden is dead. Meanwhile, thousands of innocent Afghans and over 2,000 Americans have been killed.  A United Nations report released in early August 2012 showed over a six-month period, 1,145 Afghan women, children and civilian men were killed, and nearly 2,000 were wounded.

The new central element of US military strategy is drones - remotely operated killing machines.   Drone strikes in Afghanistan and Pakistan increase, the death toll rises, and the unsustainable war continues to rage on.   Chicago based Boeing is the second largest weapons manufacturer, and has a growing role in the drone industry.

The cost of the war in Afghanistan since 2001 is estimated at more than $550 billion dollars. These war dollars are being taken from our communities, and bleeding the country economically at a time where there are severe budget cuts and vital social services are being shut down.

We need to bring these war dollars home to address vital needs like Jobs, Education and Health Care.  Chicago has multiple crises, including the death toll in this year of violence.  We need jobs, and we need money for our schools and to pay our teachers.

At the same time, we must demand that we bring the troops home now!

We gather at the Tribune Tower to call attention to the fact that the War in Afghanistan has become clearly absent in mainstream media. Please join with us as we stand together to remind people that this war needs to end now!

Please bring signs appropriate to ending the War in Afghanistan NOW!