Fwd: Rasmea trial date changed. + Tell prosecutor to drop charges on June 10

joe iosbaker

Jun 9, 2014, 12:30:25 PM6/9/14
to Defend Dissent65, committee-against-politi...@googlegroups.com

Rasmea Odeh's trial moved up to Sept. 2. Please call Atty General McQuade on June 10!
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Committee to Stop FBI Repression (stopfbi.net)
Rasmea Defense Committee - Friday, June 6th, 2014

Judge Paul Borman sets
September 2 as the new trial date

Michael Deutsch, attorney for Rasmea Odeh, informed the Rasmea Defense Committee that he and the U.S. Attorney's office in Detroit were summoned to a conference call by Judge Paul Borman this morning.  Borman informed the attorneys that he is moving Odeh's trial date from October 21st, which was previously agreed upon only 9 days ago, to September 2nd, 2014.

"This gives us six less weeks to organize to support Rasmea, but we'll be ready nonetheless," said Zena Ozeir, one of the coordinators of the defense work in Detroit. "With mobilization from Chicago, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, and all parts Midwest, we will fill the courtroom every day of the trial."

The defense committee wants to also remind everyone to call U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade Tuesday, June 10th, and demand that she “Drop the Charges Now!”

June 10 Call-in Day to Say "Drop the Charges Now!"

Details:

Call Barbara McQuade,
U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan
313-226-9100 or 313-226-9501 (voicemail)

Tuesday, June 10
9 am to 5 pm EDT

Demand of U.S. Atty McQuade:
“Drop the Charges against Rasmea Odeh!”

When you call, you could say,
“Hello, my name is ________, and I am calling from _________ to demand that U.S. Attorney McQuade drop the immigration charges against Rasmea Odeh. She is a beloved leader in the community and has worked tirelessly to serve and help empower Palestinian, Arab, and Muslim families throughout the Chicagoland area.

Rasmea is a community icon and was recently awarded an “Outstanding Community Leader” award from the Chicago Cultural Alliance for her over 40 years of dedication and service to people across the Arab World and the U.S.

Rasmea was convicted 45 years ago by an Israeli military kangaroo court, the result of a confession forced by vicious physical and sexual torture. She never committed any crimes, so the charges against her now ring hollow. These charges are a political attack on her as an individual, and on the collective Palestinian, Arab, and Muslim communities across the U.S.

I stand in unequivocal support of Rasmea and demand that these charges be dropped immediately!”

Also stay tuned to the United States Palestinian Community Network (uspcn.org) and the Committee to Stop FBI Repression (stopfbi.net) for regular updates.

-- Rasmea Defense Committee

Copyright © 2014 Committee to Stop FBI Repression, All rights reserved.
Thanks for your ongoing interest in the fight against FBI repression of anti-war and international solidarity activists!
Our mailing address is:
Committee to Stop FBI Repression
PO Box 14183
Minneapolis, MN 55414