ANN: stack-1.6.5

Emanuel Borsboom

Feb 19, 2018, 7:58:48 PM2/19/18
to Haskell Cafe, haskell-stack, commerci...@googlegroups.com
See https://haskellstack.org for installation and upgrade instructions.

This is a bug-fix release.

Bug fixes:

* 1.6.1 introduced a change that made some precompiled cache files use
longer paths, sometimes causing builds to fail on windows. This has been
fixed. See [#3649](https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/3649)
* Some unnecessary rebuilds when no files were changed are now avoided, by
having a separate build cache for each component of a package. See
[#3732](https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/3732).
* Correct the behavior of promoting a package from snapshot to local
package. This would get triggered when version bounds conflicted in
a snapshot, which could be triggered via Hackage revisions for old
packages. This also should allow custom snapshots to define
conflicting versions of packages without issue. See
[Stackage issue #3185](https://github.com/fpco/stackage/issues/3185).
* When promoting packages from snapshot to local, we were
occassionally discarding the actual package location content and
instead defaulting to pulling the package from the index. We now
correctly retain this information. Note that if you were affected by
this bug, you will likely need to delete the binary build cache
associated with the relevant custom snapshot. See
[#3714](https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/3714).
* `--no-rerun-tests` has been fixed. Previously, after running a test
we were forgetting to record the result, which meant that all tests
always ran even if they had already passed before. See
[#3770](https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/pull/3770).
* Includes a patched version of `hackage-security` which fixes both
some issues around asynchronous exception handling, and moves from
directory locking to file locking, making the update mechanism
resilient against SIGKILL and machine failure. See
[hackage-security #187](https://github.com/haskell/hackage-security/issues/187)
and [#3073](https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/3073).

Thanks to all our contributors for this release:

* Arnaud Spiwack
* Artyom
* Artyom Kazak
* Charles Reilly