XML Syntax error

Ameera Hamid

Apr 16, 2014, 4:01:48 AM4/16/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I am using CommCare to create an electronic logbook for my students to use at their clinical training sites.  The logbook has several modules' for registering their rotation, clocking in and out everyday, adding skills performed on patients, summaries for supervisors to sign off on, and evaluation exercise modules.  One of my students, while trying to access a student evaluation form, got an error that read:

 "XML Syntax Error at Line 481, column: 11!"

I tried to replicate the error on my tablet, but was unsuccessful in doing so.  I had a look at the xml and saw nothing wrong with it and no other student has reported this error.  I've asked the student to log out and back in, switch off the tablet and even clock out and back in, but the error still appears.

What does this error mean? and how do i fix it?

Kind regards,
Ameera

Cory Zue

Apr 16, 2014, 7:21:30 AM4/16/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ameera,

This is very strange. Just to confirm you have installed the same application on everybody's devices and it is failing on just one?

It sounds like either the memory card has been corrupted or someone has accidentally modified the files in a way that has broken them. I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the application on the device (on Android you can just clear application data and then rescan the barcode).

Cory

Ameera Hamid

Apr 16, 2014, 10:18:17 AM4/16/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cory,

Yes i have installed the same applicatiin on all of the students devices.  The student did confirm having a memory card inserted into the tablet and i will be guiding him through a reinstallation.

Just out of curiosity, when you suggested that someone may have "accidentally modified the files in a way that it has broken them", I was wondering whether that would be possible to do from a tablet?  or did you mean from the commcareHQ?  And if it could be done from the tablet, how would that be done?  So that I can be aware of this.

Kind regards,
Ameera

Cory Zue

Apr 16, 2014, 10:21:04 AM4/16/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

It can't be done in CommCare HQ and would be pretty difficult to do accidentally. It would entail browsing to hidden system folders on the device (probalby while plugged into a computer) and manually editing files.

Cory