Local install of CommCareHQ

Charles Flèche

Apr 9, 2014, 3:59:00 AM4/9/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm working in Myanmar where the internet connexion is really, really slow and
unreliable. I'm currently downloading what I need to install a local instance
in a virtual machine on my laptop. The plan is to develop and test our
application locally for speed reasons, then deploy on the cloud-based
CommCareHQ.

We'd like to use the m4Care project from CommCare Exchange as a template,
hence my two questions :

1. how can I import an Exchange project into a local instance of CommCareHQ ?
2. how can I export a project from a local instance into CommCareHQ ?

Extra points for this one :

3. does the CommCare team have a pre-configured VM handy I could use for
developing / testing my application ? I use KVM or VirtualBox on Kubuntu 13.10

Many thanks,

--
Charles Flèche
Première Urgence - Aide Médicale Internationale

Simon Kelly

Apr 9, 2014, 6:32:47 AM4/9/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles

I don't think we have a pre-configured VM though its possible one of the other devs has one.

Regarding moving the application, you can follow the instructions here: https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Transferring+an+Application+Between+Projects+or+Servers

Simon Kelly
Senior Engineer | Dimagi South Africa

Cory Zue

Apr 9, 2014, 6:33:46 AM4/9/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Hi,

I'm working in Myanmar where the internet connexion is really, really slow and
unreliable. I'm currently downloading what I need to install a local instance
in a virtual machine on my laptop. The plan is to develop and test our
application locally for speed reasons, then deploy on the cloud-based
CommCareHQ.

We'd like to use the m4Care project from CommCare Exchange as a template,
hence my two questions :

1. how can I import an Exchange project into a local instance of CommCareHQ ?
2. how can I export a project from a local instance into CommCareHQ ?

You can't copy entire projects (including users, reminder configs, fixtures, etc.) but you can copy applications which should get you 95% of the way there. The following page has more information on doing that: https://help.commcarehq.org/display/commcarepublic/Transferring+an+Application+Between+Projects+or+Servers

Extra points for this one :

3. does the CommCare team have a pre-configured VM handy I could use for
developing / testing my application ? I use KVM or VirtualBox on Kubuntu 13.10

Unfortunately not, but this is a great idea. We do have an install script for ubuntu 12.04 LTS but it has possibly gotten out of date since the last time we used it. Setup instructions are here: https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-hq and please take any follow up issues to the developers mailing list here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/commcare-developers

cheers,
Cory

Many thanks,

--
Charles Flèche
Première Urgence - Aide Médicale Internationale
mHealth advisor / Télécoms Sans Frontières
+95 9 431 978 25
Skype: charles.fleche

Charles Flèche

Apr 9, 2014, 4:17:00 AM4/9/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Simon and Corry,

On Wednesday 09 April 2014 06:33:46 Cory Zue wrote:

> You can't copy entire projects (including users, reminder configs,
> fixtures, etc.) but you can copy applications which should get you 95% of
> the way there. The following page has more information on doing that:
> https://help.commcarehq.org/display/commcarepublic/Transferring+an+Applicati
> on+Between+Projects+or+Servers

Yeah, that should be fine. Many thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

> Unfortunately not, but this is a great idea. We do have an install script
> for ubuntu 12.04 LTS but it has possibly gotten out of date since the last
> time we used it. Setup instructions are here:
> https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-hq and please take any follow up issues
> to the developers mailing list here:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/commcare-developers

I've been reading the documentation PRODUCTION-INSTALL.md on the GitHub page,
what page should I follow ? README.md or PRODUCTION-INSTALL.md ?

If I manage to install CommCareHQ on a VM, should I upload it somewhere so you
guys can share it ?

--
Charles Flèche
mHealth advisor

Cory Zue

Apr 9, 2014, 6:50:44 AM4/9/14
to mhealth...@tsfi.org, commcare-developers
Hey,

(taking to developers list)

PRODUCTION-INSTALL is more if you want to include supervisor and apache for a production environment.

The general README is what our developers use to get setup.

This is the install script I mentioned: https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-hq/blob/master/install.sh

ronald munjoma

Jun 10, 2014, 2:20:43 PM6/10/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com, mhealth...@tsfi.org, commcare-developers
Hi Cory

I want to learn to develop commcare apps with case management (no longer supported on the free plan) thus I have followed the local install instructions on github on Ubuntu 12.04. I used the install script for the installation. How do I access commcare on the local machine? I tried browsing localhost: 8000 but I am getting an unable to connect error.

I can confirm that apache is running, can broswe localhost fine, couch 1.31 is installed.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Ronald Munjoma

Cory Zue

Jun 10, 2014, 2:48:45 PM6/10/14
to commcar...@googlegroups.com, mhealth...@tsfi.org, commcare-developers
Hi Ronald,

I want to learn to develop commcare apps with case management (no longer supported on the free plan)

Case management is definitely supported via our free plan. Are there user limitations or other features you need?

thus I have followed the local install instructions on github on Ubuntu 12.04. I used the install script for the installation. How do I access commcare on the local machine? I tried browsing localhost: 8000 but I am getting an unable to connect error.

I can confirm that apache is running, can broswe localhost fine, couch 1.31 is installed.

Are you running runserver? For continued support in setting up a local commcare HQ you can remove the commcare-users group.

Cory

rahul....@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2016, 12:38:19 AM9/25/16
to commcare-users, mhealth...@tsfi.org
Charles:
I am trying to run a local instance of commcare to try features such as SMS etc without a pro plan.

If I manage to install CommCareHQ on a VM, should I upload it somewhere so you
guys can share it ?
Were you able to upload an image for VM or and automated script for Linux preferably ubuntu/mint 16.xx??
Or is there an easy way to deploy to a free AWS account or google app engine/azure?

I am not a seasoned developer, so please bear with me.
Any support will be appreciated.
Best Regards,
Rahul Thakoor
Volunteer