Deploying commcare via docker ...

Donald Lobo

May 13, 2016, 4:01:17 PM5/13/16
to CommCare Developers

hi!

trying to deploy commcare via docker. got all the images pulled in, all services started fine. Am getting this error now (repeated 3 times)

ALL SERVICES READY
corehq.util.log.HqAdminEmailHandler logger is being changed to logging.StreamHandler
corehq.util.log.NotifyExceptionEmailer logger is being changed to logging.StreamHandler
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "manage.py", line 88, in <module>
    execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
  File "/vendor/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 385, in execute_from_command_line
    utility.execute()
  File "/vendor/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 354, in execute
    django.setup()
  File "/vendor/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/__init__.py", line 20, in setup
    configure_logging(settings.LOGGING_CONFIG, settings.LOGGING)
  File "/vendor/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/log.py", line 87, in configure_logging
    logging_config_func(logging_settings)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/logging/config.py", line 794, in dictConfig
    dictConfigClass(config).configure()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/logging/config.py", line 559, in configure
    'filter %r: %s' % (name, e))
ValueError: Unable to configure filter 'hqcontext': Cannot resolve 'corehq.util.log.HQRequestFilter': No module named dimagi.utils.chunked

I've been following the instructions from: https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-hq/tree/master/docker

I also just did a git pull earlier today to ensure i had the latest changes

am also getting this error after the above

bower                     invalid-meta The "name" is recommended to be lowercase, can contain digits, dots, dashes
bower select2         extra-resolution Unnecessary resolution: select2#4.0.0
/mnt/docker/docker-services.sh: line 36: sudo: command not found
/mnt/docker/utils.sh: line 18: sudo: command not found
/mnt/docker/utils.sh: line 23: sudo: command not found

lobo

Ben Rudolph

May 13, 2016, 5:03:36 PM5/13/16
to commcare-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donald,

You may need to update the submodules:

git submodule update --init --recursive

Ben

--

---

Donald Lobo

May 13, 2016, 11:25:59 PM5/13/16
to CommCare Developers

great, thanx. up and running now :)

got a couple of errors / warning most of them around pillow and either missing attributes or resource not found.

 The above sudo error is still present

thanx

lobo
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to commcare-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

John Harper

May 17, 2016, 10:24:07 PM5/17/16
to CommCare Developers
Donald did you find the docker install any easier..............

I am still mired in the docs without an environment to work on.

I have a ubuntu 12.04 LTS server instance up and running.........I have gotten to the fabric task run section but have no clue on what or how to run the scripts locally on my VM.........

the fabric task is giving me heartache............not sure what goes where.

I looked at the docker install and It looks a little more automated............I just need an environment to validate the tool to see what it can do for my project......

Any help or step guides would be appreciated..........not a nube.............but new to linux.

thanks again.

Donald Lobo

May 18, 2016, 12:05:02 AM5/18/16
to CommCare Developers

hey john

the docker install was super easy and worked flawlessly for me (other than the mistake of refreshing my main git repository but not the sub modules)

i'm on a more recent version of ubuntu (15.10) and definitely on the latest versions of docker / docker-compose. Not sure what the availability of that for 12.04 is

lobo

--

---

Ben Rudolph

May 18, 2016, 9:22:38 AM5/18/16
to commcare-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

You can also try out www.commcarehq.org and you'll get a free trial of the Standard version for 30 days. Then you can test out things like Cloudcare and other features if you'd like.

Ben

--

---

John Harper

May 18, 2016, 10:24:53 AM5/18/16
to CommCare Developers
yes that is good but I do have some issues for several clients that have "US Safe Harbor" act that will not allow data stored outside the client country.  This does not allow us to keep data in a central cloud environment.

That is why I am looking at a self contained VM that can be deployed to the clients environment.  So if you have a suggestion on the approach to this that would be great...........

Simon Kelly

May 18, 2016, 10:30:36 AM5/18/16
to CommCare Developers
Hi John

There is someone else who made some progress in terms of a production docker setup. Their works is currently on a branch here: https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-hq/pull/10539

I haven't tried it out at all so don't know how stable it is but could be worth looking at.

---

Simon Kelly
Senior Engineer | Dimagi South Africa

Donald Lobo

May 18, 2016, 7:06:05 PM5/18/16
to CommCare Developers

Simon:

what are the differences between the production docker setup and the one that commcare supports?

will the latter PR be merged into commcarehq?

is dimagi planning to release a docker based production ready commcarehq setup?

thanx

lobo

p.s> will take a look at the pr your pointed to now :)

---

Simon Kelly

May 19, 2016, 3:23:49 AM5/19/16
to CommCare Developers
Hi Donald

I think it just adds docker support for Nginx and Celery (the background processor). It also has a few other small changes like different localsettings files.

Dimagi has no plans to use or release a production ready docker setup at the moment.

Simon

---