thinking in the future

Tulio

Apr 6, 2013, 8:09:07 AM4/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com

dear CF Team, like you did with CF iViewer, when you consider to do a version of iViewer compatible only with new versions of iOS (6 and above), please consider to launch another version (iViewer  5,  super iViewer, etc.) and let the iViewer 4 as legacy product in app store.

I realize that we have a market for used devices that we can use exclusively to run iViewer 4 as a low cost but very good quality touch screen for home automation.

Apple with its app store is a little evil to users. Buy an used iPhone 3GS and try do download Instagran (to mention one example). You will see the current version available in app store is no longer compatible to iOS 4 . Probably with jailbreak everything is possible, but better have a legacy version as you do today with CF iViewer.

A simple yes is all I want to hear about my request :-)

Thanks

Barry Gordon

Apr 6, 2013, 9:17:06 AM4/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I completely agree with Tulio. All of my in wall iPads that control my home are iPad 1's and I do not wish to spend several thousand dollars to upgrade them. My preference is for you to always maintain backwards compatibility, but I do understand the difficulties associated with doing that.

Sent from my iPad

Florent Pillet

Apr 6, 2013, 10:24:41 AM4/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
It's something that we do whenever we can. For legacy devices, we have left CF iViewer on the AppStore. When the time comes to break backward compatibility, we will do the same with the current incarnation of iViewer.

Device longevity is very important to us. But we also need the software to take full advantage of hardware and software evolution. As such, there's always a time where you have to set strict requirement of recent OS versions (like we do today for iViewer 4 which requires iOS 4.3 as a minimum). When we can, we also take advantage of new features in newer OSes - in this case, such features are not available when running on an older version of the OS.

Florent

--
Florent Pillet - Software Engineering Lead

vmailtk5

Apr 6, 2013, 10:52:15 AM4/6/13
to commandfusion
CF iViewer does not support JS and GUI file are displayed differently to iVeiwer 4 and guiDesigner

Florent Pillet

Apr 6, 2013, 11:06:32 AM4/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
CF iViewer is the old version that still supports devices running iOS 3. I never said that it was supposed to do everything that iViewer 4 does, actually it is very much the opposite.

When we transitioned from iViewer 3 (CF iViewer) to iViewer 4 then later added up to iViewer 4, we introduced new OS requirements. We left the old version on the AppStore for all the customers who won't upgrade their hardware or OS but may still need to reinstall the software. No more, no less.

It just wouldn't make sense (neither economical nor technical) to keep upgrading an old version.

Florent

On 6 April 2013 15:24, Florent Pillet <fpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's something that we do whenever we can. For legacy devices, we have left CF iViewer on the AppStore. When the time comes to break backward compatibility, we will do the same with the current incarnation of iViewer.

Device longevity is very important to us. But we also need the software to take full advantage of hardware and software evolution. As such, there's always a time where you have to set strict requirement of recent OS versions (like we do today for iViewer 4 which requires iOS 4.3 as a minimum). When we can, we also take advantage of new features in newer OSes - in this case, such features are not available when running on an older version of the OS.

Florent

Barry Gordon

Apr 6, 2013, 1:08:36 PM4/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com

Having managed very large software projects I completely agree with Florent.   As long as the prior versions are maintained as they were when de-committed and remain available for download/installation for the hardware/OS they were designed for; The developers have met their obligations.