Someone uses Macintosh with VM Ware?

Hiro

Jul 6, 2013, 1:06:19 AM7/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I am thinking if I replace to Macbook Air, and launch Windows with VM Ware or Parallels Desktop.
But I am worried if it can work with the following.
*IR Blaster (IR Blaster.exe)
*System Commander (Both UDP/RS-232C Connection)
*GUI Designer.

If someone uses Mactintosh, would you please tell me have you ever have any issue with them?
Regards,

Ronald Muller

Jul 6, 2013, 1:30:10 AM7/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I'm using aan iMac with Parallels and win7. Works perfect. Never had aan issue with software not running. Working with GUI Designer is not issue at all. Best of both worlds.
Message has been deleted

Florent Pillet

Jul 6, 2013, 4:26:44 AM7/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I work and develop on Mac exclusively. I've not had a physical PC for many years - only using Parallels VMs for Windows, Linux etc. Works great with all versions of Windows, works great with USB devices. I have not tried a USB-RS232 converter recently, last time was several years back and it did work fine too.

There are many advantages to running Windows in a VM (the VM being a single large file, it's easy to backup, duplicate, restore) and you can run several OSes simultaneously if you need.

Florent
--
Florent Pillet - Software Engineering Lead

Bernd

Jul 6, 2013, 12:20:00 PM7/6/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I am running VMWare on my Macbook Pro and I'm using gui designer without any Problem.
The only thing you should be aware of is USB 3, because VM Ware is only supporting one USB 3 Chipset.
If you have a Laptop without that special chipset you will not be able to use USB :(
Check before you buy a license ;)

Regards
Bernd

Florent Pillet

Jul 7, 2013, 7:58:26 AM7/7/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
The alternative is to use Parallels (which I do). Works great, supports all USB types (my MacPro doesn't have USB 3)

Florent

On Jul 6, 2013, at 6:20 PM, Bernd <n3tw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running VMWare on my Macbook Pro and I'm using gui designer without any Problem.
> The only thing you should be aware of is USB 3, because VM Ware is only supporting one USB 3 Chipset.
> If you have a Laptop without that special chipset you will not be able to use USB :(
> Check before you buy a license ;)

Allen

Jul 7, 2013, 12:13:11 PM7/7/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I am using the newest Macbook Pro Retina and it works fine with my USB adaptor and I use it almost daily for programming Crestron. I use the Keyspan USB to RS-232 and it is part number - USA-19HS

Heath Volmer

Jul 7, 2013, 6:26:33 PM7/7/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I've been using either Fusion or Parallels since they came out (I am currently favoring Fusion).  I've also used several PCs simultaneously.  An equivalent PC might beat the VM in capable speed - when doing very complex stuff or graphics - but the VM absolutely outperforms the PC in reliability, stability and predictability.  There are many areas where the VM is faster.  I'll never use a PC for anything except gaming again.

I can't say anything about your apps (other than GUIDesigner which works great) but I've never found something that wouldn't work - devices or apps.

Heath

Hiro

Jul 8, 2013, 12:52:33 AM7/8/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for posting your opinion.
I am glad to know that you use Macintosh without any problems.
OK, I will buy new Macbook air. You are friends!!

Regards,
Hiro

2013年7月6日土曜日 14時06分19秒 UTC+9 Hiro:

Hiro

Jul 21, 2013, 8:13:14 AM7/21/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I got new Macbook Air , and use Windows by VM.
Almost works fine, but I have a problem that the System Commander can not scan my LANBridge. (see fig1.png)
Here are those points.

1. I set "Bridge (AUTO)" with VM Network setting.  And the IP address is given as "192.168.1.13" (See fig2.png)
2. It can ping to my LANBridge properly.
3. My another PC can ping to my VM Windows (192.168.1.13) properly.
4. My iPhone/iPad can load GUI file from my VM Windows.
5. I disabled Firewall setting from Windows Control Panel
6. My Mac's address 192.168.1.13
    LANBridge...192.168.1.151
    Air Mac Express (Accesspoint with router)...192.168.1.1

7. Here is the movie..
http://youtu.be/7JC8PztfGGA

2013年7月8日月曜日 13時52分33秒 UTC+9 Hiro:
fig3.png
fig2.png
fig1.png

Jarrod Bell

Jul 21, 2013, 9:02:29 AM7/21/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
You say your Mac's IP address is the same as your windows. Is this correct? Or a typo? If it's correct, you have an IP conflict.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Jarrod Bell

Jul 21, 2013, 9:14:00 AM7/21/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Also, I would use NAT mode for your network interface, rather than Bridged. This way your windows machine acts like its own physical machine on the network.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Hiro

Jul 21, 2013, 7:40:12 PM7/21/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
It works fine since I updated the latest firmware to LANBridge by another native Windows laptop.

I am not sure if this is the reason or not..:-(

*works fine only with Bridge Mode

I will see for a while .
Thanks Jarrod!!

Heath Volmer

Jul 22, 2013, 9:27:48 AM7/22/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Bridged is what he wants to do that.  NAT creates a separate address space for the VM.

Jarrod Bell

Jul 22, 2013, 9:30:24 AM7/22/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Isn't that what I said? I'm confused...
NAT makes the VM its own machine on the network right?

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Heath Volmer

Jul 22, 2013, 10:30:28 AM7/22/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Bridged make the VM it's own machine - puts it on the same subnet as the host Mac.  NAT builds a "private" network inside the host Mac for the VM to live in, keeping it isolated which could causes problems with device communication.  NAT should still work for a lot of situations.

Back to the OP's original question: Like Jarrod said: In bridged mode, your Mac and VM should have different IP addresses.  Usually, they will both warn you about this.

Hiro

Jul 23, 2013, 8:15:35 PM7/23/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I tested some, since I posted last time, and I noticed below...

A) My VM Windows can search only with Bridge Mode ,plus the latest firmware with LANBridge "ver0.1.7"
B) My VM can not access LANBridge"ver0.1.4" although it's set to Bridge Mode.

So I tested below.
1) Put the LANBridge"ver0.1.7" within same LAN Environment as my VM Windows.
2) And connect another LANBridge"ver0.1.4" through CF Link.
3) I can search both LANBridge with System Commander.
4) Try to update the firmware the LANBridge "ver0.1.4"
5) The update was failure.

Thus I will keep my Native Windows for a while. :-)
Very interesting.

2013年7月22日月曜日 23時30分28秒 UTC+9 Heath Volmer:

Jarrod Bell

Jul 23, 2013, 8:24:59 PM7/23/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Both LAN Bridges would have shown up that way because of CFLink connection between them. Sounds like a network issue with broadcast packets, but if using v0.1.7 firmware works fine, then you are good to go.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com